What's my Old School Amp worth?

btroupjr

Hello Everyone,

My name is Brian and I am new to this site, but have been an enthusiast of Car Audio since the Mid 80's. I have had many systems over the years, and I have worked in the industry as an installer for many years as well.

I admittedly have been out of the scene for quite some time, so I am looking to you all who have been up to speed.

Can anyone tell me what my US. Amps Xterminator 400x is worth? I think it's the 1999 version, and is in good condition. It's an old school amp, but it is a beast.

Thanks for your help in advance,

Brian

The condition is very good considering it's age. A few dings, but nothing major. I have a couple small fuzy, but I can post better ones later this afternoon.

See attached pics.

Operationally perfect. Currently installed and used daily. Never seen competition. Never even been operated in bridged mode.

Thanks!

Brian

No it's not sold. That's actuall my previous listing, and I recently canceled it. I reposted it for sale again, but I think I may be out of the ball park on price considering the offer I recieved. This is why I am asking for what it's worth. I don't want to seem like I am trying to rip someone off, but I also don't want to undercut myself.

Any help is approceated and thanks for your reply,

Brian

500-700 depending on who wants to buy it
Personally I think that is pretty high.

If I were to sell mine which is still new, I wouldn't think I would get that much for it.

I would say it would be around 300-400 to the right buyer on a good day to be honest. If you are trying to fund other things, then a better option is to try and get into a trade situation where every one is getting what they want.

The reasoning I say the price is so "low" now, is simply truth. US Amps are great amps, but the value has been dropping for years now and shows no sign of slowing in its decent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice piece, but the fact is you can get 1500W class D amp for 200$ that draws a quarter of the current to make power and is the size of a Playstation 2. Not even trying to argue what is what, build quality, etc... just saying what 99.9% of the market is seeing. Today's 3 foot long amps make 5KW on probably the same battery bank as that would need and they can be had used for @700-800$ range.

Some collectors pay high for these sort of old monstrosities, but really if it isn't pristine condition you aren't likely to get that price, and with

Very cool piece, but I'd also say you may get best value in trade.

Very nice piece, but the fact is you can get 1500W class D amp for 200$ that draws a quarter of the current to make power and is the size of a Playstation 2. Not even trying to argue what is what, build quality, etc... just saying what 99.9% of the market is seeing. Today's 3 foot long amps make 5KW on probably the same battery bank as that would need and they can be had used for @700-800$ range.
Some collectors pay high for these sort of old monstrosities, but really if it isn't pristine condition you aren't likely to get that price, and with

Very cool piece, but I'd also say you may get best value in trade.
I agree with this on most accounts. I bought my 400x two years ago in very nice condition for 300 shipped. I look on ebay everyday for us amps and phoenix gold and I have seen your ad but to be honest you wont get near what you have been asking. Probably not even half unless you get lucky which does happen every now and then on there. It is the same with most old school amps in that everything is more efficient and smaller but imo the 400x is maybe the baddest 1500 watt amp ever made but like said above it will take a ton of power to push it.

Everything you guys said makes sense to me and I would say that you all are confirming my suspicions. I really appreciate the time you guys have given me and the information.

I really like the option of trading as well. I know Ebay is probably the worst place to try and sell for top dollar. I am going to drop my asking price accordingly and hope I get a bite.

IF you know anyone who has an Alpine MRX-M240 or PDX-M12, and would be willing to trade my amp +$$, please let me know!

Thanks again everyone for your incite and advice. I really appreciate it.

Brian

Everything you guys said makes sense to me and I would say that you all are confirming my suspicions. I really appreciate the time you guys have given me and the information. I really like the option of trading as well. I know Ebay is probably the worst place to try and sell for top dollar. I am going to drop my asking price accordingly and hope I get a bite.

IF you know anyone who has an Alpine MRX-M240 or PDX-M12, and would be willing to trade my amp +$$, please let me know!

Thanks again everyone for your incite and advice. I really appreciate it.

Brian
If it were in NIB condition AND you had high feedback eBay would get you big money for that amp. As it stands I think 300-350 is the going rate for "good" Korean built class D 1500W amp. Definitely not the quality and specs of that US Amps, but would take up half the space, draw a quarter of the current, and you don't have to worry about 13 year old electrolytic caps failing.

The old powerhouse class A/B's of the 90's are pretty much dime a dozen until you get into the super limited edition (like the one that's two of those in one case, or limited edition PG and such)

I agree on just about everything on this statement (post #8 ). However, after years of listening to class D amps from Crossfire, Orion, Memphis, Sony, Hifonics and others I can't recall. I will say that after installing my US AMPS 300X, NONE of them come close to the clarity and tightness of sound that this Amp puts out. It was obvious from the minute I turned on my system. It does draw more current then the others and even though it's only rated at 900 watts rms, my system is clearly louder then the 1000+ watt class D amps that I've owned in the past.

I was going to do a old school build when i started mine, but for the prices people wanted for some of that stuff i bought all new, more efficient equipment. With a warranty. I still would like to get a old school rockford power series amp though. They were just awesome.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.