Question abt multiple amps...

bigtrav101
10+ year member

Ok, so I have 3 MTX TS8512-44 which are 4 ohm 12s. I have a t15001 bd to run on 2 of the subs which will put that amp at 2 ohms. On the third sub I want to run my t5001 bd which will also put that amp at 2 ohms. Someone mentioned to me that I should just sell my 2 amps and get 1 big amp to run all the subs. I don't want to go through the headache of trying to sell my stuff...so my question is, will it be fine to run those 2 amps on the 3 subs the way I want to do it or is it best to sell them and get 1 big amp?

You can do it that way, but I would highly recommend not doing it. The subs will be hitting out of phase and cause cancellation and overall poor sound quality. Better to just run them on 1 amp. If you t15001 is 1 ohm stable, not sure if it is, why not just run all the subs on that?

I was confused as your first post. I thought they were Single 4 ohm. You can run them at 2.67 for now. Then you can sell your other amp.

Or you can find an amp that does its power at 2ohms rather than 1, or pick up a matching 1500 and strap them.

there's really not a problem other than using 2 amps to do what one can do. If it's already there I agree that there's no point in making a change.

Cancellation? Uh, no.

there's really not a problem other than using 2 amps to do what one can do. If it's already there I agree that there's no point in making a change.
Cancellation? Uh, no.
Uh, yes. I would like to know how to set the levels of two completely different amps so that they put out equal power from say 20-80 hz. You may be able to match output at one frequency, but as soon as the frequency changes so will the power.

Since the subs you are using are virtually impossible to find new (and not EVEN trying to find re-cones), maybe the smartest thing would be to run 2 of them on the T1500 at 1 ohm and save the other as a replacement sub for one of the two you have. The Bd amps are good amps, and I would not sell them, if not needed. I am assuming all 3 subs are in separate chambers. You could run one sub on the T500.1 at 2 ohms for 400 watts rms and the other two on the T1500.1 at 1ohm and lower the gain to produce 800 watts at 1 ohm with a DMM, but if you understand how Class D operates, you would not do this.(And it would be the same result as running all 3 subs at 2.5 ohms on the T1500.1) The gain is not a volume control and the amp will operate a lot less efficiently at less than rated output. If these were class A/B Amps, then this option might be viable...but the issues of ohm rise and phase still comes into play when using 2 different amps at 2 different nominal impedance loads in the same system trying to reproduce the same frequencies.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.