Whats deeper? 2 - 12's or 1 - 18

Originally posted by Mayshno the 18 inch sub will be Deeper //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

but if u want louder bass go for two 12s or 10s .
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

My 4 12's are in a box where two sets of 12's are pointing at eachother, its kind of like a dual sealed box in with a huge port in the middle and the two sets of 12's are pointing towards the port. Its kind of weird, its loud loud loud. I mean i can shake panels on cars infront of me at intersections. But it doesn't sound good in my car, its distorted and blurry //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif honestly my single 10" pioneer sounded nicer lol. Yeah i want SQ i think but i want really deep bass. I dont want to shake cars in front of me. But i mean when i hear bass in a car, from a distance and dont like the distorted side panels shaking and ****, i like the low bass, the boom, like man a T rex is coming take cover lol (jurassic park).

So thats why im thinking a single 18" would be where is at. And i found a sweet deal on an Audiobahn 18" sub for 300 bucks flat, canadian. It has no box, its just getting in the dealers way. So i told him i'd give him a few hundred bucks for it, its worth i think 1200 or so, its the hign excursion 18" 1200 rms? I think it would do some damage, so i might pick it up..

Audiobahns are good subs if u have room for the 18 inch sub then go for it and feed it with a good (1000-1200rms) class d Amp //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Why whats wrong with audiobahn? I could get rid of my 4 12's and the box for like 400 bucks. 300 american. And buy the audiobahn spend the rest of the money on god wires and wood and ****, and make a tightass box for it? Prolly sound nicer..

the idea sounds nice..but what about the sound?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif do you have about at least 6.5 cubic feet to fork over? the pioneers are more sound quality oriented than the audiobahn. i can say one thing though that if you're looking for long delay bass notes..the audiobahn is perfect. for trance, techno, etc..they aren't as accurate. not to mention its probably not going to be loud as the pioneers. are you ok with audiobahn's quality? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Originally posted by Fabulas the one 18" will be lower(the larger sub will always play lower) and should be louder than the two 12" subs.(More cone area) I'd take an 18" anyday over two 12" of the same brand subs.
the larger the sub will play low notes "louder". i can make lots of 8's respond to 18hz or whatever. playing loudly is where its at. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

all are so dazed...and so confused

it's NOT the size of the cone that determines the frequency response curve of the drivers, nor how 'low' or 'loud' or accurate ('punchy') they will play

it has to do with the soft parts of the driver mainly(soft parts including spiders, surround, cone and voice coil weight (mms)), along with the motor Q's and how much force the motor can exert

as i have said time and time again - Size means nothing;)

Edit: from the origional post - i see no series of drivers mention(brand makes or models), just sizes of speakers in general (i'm talking about this subject in general - not particular to any driver)

i could be wrong but to my knowledge (notice how i start off every contradicting reply i write with that lol) the size of the sub will not greatly influence volume. The weight and stiffness of the cone directly relate to how fast the sub will go from point A to point B. An 18 will only move more air, not move air harder. Same principle of adding wattage ina stereo setup. if you have 2 50watt speakers and you put 50watts into them, you are not hearing 100watts...you are hearing 50. SPL- the pressure reached in the positive and negative compressions of air have the same absolute value. If that value goes up, the sound becomes louder. The weight of the cone also has alot to do with the response time of the sub itself. The more weight that the coil has to move, the slower response time. (again, i could be wrong). this is why 10's are commonly called "tighter" than 15's or 18's. The inertia from an 18 is greater than the inertia from a 10. (Although a bigger and stronger coil/mag structure can compensate) therefore the response of an 18 COULD be considered "boomy" as opposed to "punchy". keep in mind though that the density of the magnetic flux( basiclly strength of magnet) in the magnet structure also has a big influence on response time and all.

hopefully somone managed to understand my babble- and i helped in some way or another.

-pat

Originally posted by d audio 450 i could be wrong but to my knowledge (notice how i start off every contradicting reply i write with that lol) the size of the sub will not greatly influence volume. The weight and stiffness of the cone directly relate to how fast the sub will go from point A to point B. An 18 will only move more air, not move air harder. Same principle of adding wattage ina stereo setup. if you have 2 50watt speakers and you put 50watts into them, you are not hearing 100watts...you are hearing 50. SPL- the pressure reached in the positive and negative compressions of air have the same absolute value. If that value goes up, the sound becomes louder. The weight of the cone also has alot to do with the response time of the sub itself. The more weight that the coil has to move, the slower response time. (again, i could be wrong). this is why 10's are commonly called "tighter" than 15's or 18's. The inertia from an 18 is greater than the inertia from a 10. (Although a bigger and stronger coil/mag structure can compensate) therefore the response of an 18 COULD be considered "boomy" as opposed to "punchy". keep in mind though that the density of the magnetic flux( basiclly strength of magnet) in the magnet structure also has a big influence on response time and all.

hopefully somone managed to understand my babble- and i helped in some way or another.

-pat
in a nutshell you just described efficiency...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif and some more lol

as stated before from many arguements..cone size doesn't affect transient response. the box size does. people seem to get the theory that "15's are sloppy" and such because they don't have them in the right box. box size greatly affects transient response.

I dont want punch. I want boom. I've heard two 15's and that still didn't seemed boomy enough but it was much nicer than the 12's.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.