What's better for SPL numbers?

95BlackGA
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
Missouri
Alright, this may be a question already asked, but I looked and I didn't come across anything. I put my stereo into a 96 Mercury Mystique. I can't roll up the windows right now, 'cause I'm waiting on a new switch, and motors for the windows. Is it louder, SPL wise for a car to have all windows open, or all shut besides the drivers window? It gets pretty loud with all windows down, and driver's door open, and flexes everything pretty well, but I think it can be louder with everything shut.

Thats a very vague question.. That depends on a lot of things

Generally all windows down is too much Id think just the drivers side window down would be most helpful spl wise

But it all depends only way you will find out is get a tl to play around with for a little while

In my previous car (hatchback) it was louder with the windows up. On my current extended cab pickup, its louder with both driver and passenger window down.

Pzaully

Not only is it car specific but also enclosure/sub specific. My IDQ is louder with the windows up while my av12 is louder with the windows down. My 6.5" horn is equally as loud with the windows up or down -- it really doesn't make a difference to the ear at all.

With most ive seen its best with the opposite door open than where the meter is

So if we were metering in passenger kick than it was loudest with driver door open and passenger door closed with windows all up

Well, once I get my motors and switches, I will be able to find out what's better for my car. It ***** having to put a cover over it every night and have the chance of people around here jacking my stereo. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif Luckily, it's a small town, and I'm very secluded from most people that would possibly do that sort of thing.

What about your alarm, mine has a feature that disables whatever sensor is not properly setup when the alarm is activated (alerts you of it though), should be a pretty common feature right? I'd think most would need to open the door / trunk to remove everything (or at least in my truck).

pzaully

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.