what wrong

Pauliesnite93
10+ year member

i just installed a mb quart 1500.1 in a jimmy. is powering two diamond audio d6 d4 12s. the amp is running at 1 ohm. the power wire is a rockford fosgate 8 gauge kit and i know that is way to small but i have got a 0 gauge kit on the way. it was working perfect than two days after the install it started blowing fuses like crazy. and he took it to best buy before he came to me and they said his amp was blown so i hooked it up to my 4 gauge in my truck and it worked perfect. so i looked over his system and his ground is connected to the jack in the back. so could that be it. and it was only a 60 amp fuse in the power wire and the amp has 2x70 amp fuses in it so could that be it or is the amp blown by not getting the rite power. plz help:cool:

i just installed a mb quart 1500.1 in a jimmy. is powering two diamond audio d6 d4 12s. the amp is running at 1 ohm. the power wire is a rockford fosgate 8 gauge kit and i know that is way to small but i have got a 0 gauge kit on the way. it was working perfect than two days after the install it started blowing fuses like crazy. and he took it to best buy before he came to me and they said his amp was blown so i hooked it up to my 4 gauge in my truck and it worked perfect. so i looked over his system and his ground is connected to the jack in the back. so could that be it. and it was only a 60 amp fuse in the power wire and the amp has 2x70 amp fuses in it so could that be it or is the amp blown by not getting the rite power. plz help:cool:
Good choice of placement. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

well, 8ga plus 60amp fuse is only rated to handle so much current. If you figure 60x14volt, it should handle about 800rms. Your amp is putting out 140x14x.75 (%, at 4ohm should be in 80s tho)=1470rms. Your not gonna push that exactly, but roughly. You are at almost double your wiring limit, thats likely why your fuses are popping. I just blew a 60 on 8ga a while back running over 1000rms...Essentially the fuse is over heating and popping because its not rated to maintain that kind of current

and thats a very questionable ground at best, it should always be grounded bare metal to the chassis if possible

well, 8ga plus 60amp fuse is only rated to handle so much current. If you figure 60x14volt, it should handle about 800rms. Your amp is putting out 140x14x.75 (%, at 4ohm should be in 80s tho)=1470rms. Your not gonna push that exactly, but roughly. You are at almost double your wiring limit, thats likely why your fuses are popping. I just blew a 60 on 8ga a while back running over 1000rms...Essentially the fuse is over heating and popping because its not rated to maintain that kind of current
This is all true, but not the reason this is most likely happening...

Try putting your amp ground to the basket on the subwoofer //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

In all seriousness. You need a chassis ground. That ground is shitty, period.

i did not place the ground it was best buy they also placed the power wire on the wrong side of the car. but i just got a 0 gauge kit shiped with a 150 amp anl fuse. what i will be installing on the side of the batt. is the 150 amp fuse going to be right for this amp. what should i do about the 0 gauge in to the amp the amp only has 2 gauge inputs but it is shitty wire so do u tink i could just cut a little bit out and make it fit.

i did not place the ground it was best buy they also placed the power wire on the wrong side of the car. but i just got a 0 gauge kit shiped with a 150 amp anl fuse. what i will be installing on the side of the batt. is the 150 amp fuse going to be right for this amp. what should i do about the 0 gauge in to the amp the amp only has 2 gauge inputs but it is shitty wire so do u tink i could just cut a little bit out and make it fit.
- Yes trim the wire and itll fit.

- That fuse should be fine, but if your amp has internal fuses i wouldnt even worry about that fuse

- I dont care who put the ground there, it should be obvious that it is a horrible place. I wouldve taken that **** back to best buy and told them to fix it or give me a refund.

what i will be installing on the side of the batt. is the 150 amp fuse going to be right for this amp. what should i do about the 0 gauge in to the amp the amp only has 2 gauge inputs but it is shitty wire so do u tink i could just cut a little bit out and make it fit.
a few things, make sure that the RCAS are not ran near the power. Yes 150 is enough. You can either splice it a bit to make it fit, or get a 0in/2out distro block

all this help is the greatest. some people on fourm are dicks and tell u to google ****. but is that not why most people look at forums. they look at them for help to know what they need to know.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.