what wire for big 3

4ga is plenty.....most guys go overkill with fatter wire but its not ness
It all depends on how many amps you plan on running.. If you're running extreme amperage you need the right size wire or else you're not getting what you should out of your current flow

plus the price difference when doing big 3 4 gauge vs 1/0 is close to nothing, why not spend an extra few bucks and upgrade such a small amount of wire if you ever decide to upgrade.

Might as well do 4/0 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

DSCN0538.jpg

im not running anything to extreme since this is my dd just a cheap 1400 watt but thinking of adding another and this one already dims my lights when i have it loud which is almost always lol didnt get time to work on it today got called in to my second job on my day off sux thinkin 2 jobs and a hobby dont mix one of them is about to go and its not gonna be the hobby

It kind of depends on how big of an alternator you have. 4 gauge wire can handle the output of any stock alternator I've seen, but as mentioned before, many ppl just upgrade with 1/0, so there is no need to redo it down the road if you upgrade.

Its just the stock alt on an 01 maxima will probably put a bigger one on it when this one goes out so yea im just gonna do 1/0 the first time screw doing it twice that cost more than just doing it right the first time my time is expensive lol....work smarter not harder

Its just the stock alt on an 01 maxima will probably put a bigger one on it when this one goes out so yea im just gonna do 1/0 the first time screw doing it twice that cost more than just doing it right the first time my time is expensive lol....work smarter not harder
Exactly. My stock alternator is 130 amps.. I think 1/0 is good for 250 amps under 25ft (correct me if im wrong)

I also think I paid 25-30$ for enough welding quality wire 1/0 to do my big 3 lol so no big loss there.

Just do 1/0.. its cheap for a small amount, and you can upgrade (doubt you will ever go above 250 amp alternator, I know I wont)

Exactly. My stock alternator is 130 amps.. I think 1/0 is good for 250 amps under 25ft (correct me if im wrong)
I also think I paid 25-30$ for enough welding quality wire 1/0 to do my big 3 lol so no big loss there.

Just do 1/0.. its cheap for a small amount, and you can upgrade (doubt you will ever go above 250 amp alternator, I know I wont)
I believe Knu's CCA 1/0 is good for 250 amp and their OFC stuff is rated at 350 amps, So if you get the CCA you'll save some money and it will be able to handle plenty of current.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.