What type of unit should I buy

Participant count
  • Participant list

DV56

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi,
I'm looking to upgrade my 2001 Toyota 4runner stock stereo. What kind of unit do any of you suggest that would work good with the current speakers? It's not a daily driver, so I'm not looking to spend a bunch, but I'm an old rocker and would like it to talk to me when I crank it. It has 6 speakers, front doors have a 4" and a tweeter up by the mirror, back doors have 4" Thanks.

Single din? Double din? Budget? You want Apple car play? Andriod auto? Bluetooth? CD player? Aux input?

You just want to replace the headunit and keep all the factory speakers?

Not sure if it's single din or double. No to Apple, Android auto , and Bluetooth. All I care for is a quality CD player. Would like to keep the current speakers, but would be open to upgrading with the new unit if needed. Or I can blow them first and then replace them. Thanks for the reply.

Those cars are great. I love that generation 4runner. The ***** about double dins in those is that they’re end up a little low in the console to see. I would get a High quality single din CD player. A double din may be advantageous if you need android and app stuff like that

Thanks! Yes, I love the 2001. My sis bought it new and really took care of it, all service records, and garage kept. 150k miles, but those motors run forever, it drives like new. It had leaking valve cover gaskets so she sold it to me for next to nothing. The stock radio/CD/cassette unit worked when I brought it home a week ago, and my sister said everything worked on it. She said she never turned the power button off and I did. I think it shocked the unit because it seems like there's no power to it now, and it was playing fine. Dirty contact maybe from pushing the power button off? I don't mind upgrading, but it's not a daily driver, so I wasn't looking to spend anything just yet. I checked the fuses and they're good, so a little lost as to why it lost power after powering it down. Does the unit you gave me the link to have a frame of some sort to fill in the hole that will be left when I take the stock unit out? Thanks for the help!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.