What to run on 4.5k? HDC4? Need help deciding.

akillj
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
CA
I already got some help from the Electrical section of this forum at what kind of electrical system I need to look into for 4.5k, so that's covered. I'm going to be running two Q1.2200D's strapped (Or a Q1.3500D) for this build. This is entirely for daily use, I was thinking of getting an 18" HDC4, but i've only heard HDC4's on low power so I don't know what they really sound like.

I was watching this guys vid who has a system which is close to the one i'm looking into putting together.

He's got two HDC3 18's on ~3k and it looks insane. Would I get preformance like this with a single HDC4 18' on 4.5k?

Two 18s is a TON of cone area. I've sat in SUVs with 2 18s on about 2500w that were nasty.

But back to the original post, you'd be running 1.5x the power but half the cone area. You could expect to be somewhere around 1-2dbs quieter than him on average... of course, a lot will depend on electrical, deadening, and other parts of the install.

4.5k may be a little much for a single HDC4 though. I'd look into something like a Tantric SHD, DC lv5/6, or maybe two 12s or 15s. Two 15s would have more cone area and get you at about the same output as that guy.

Cone area will help him out a lot. Don't just look at the truck flexing. Kicker comps can flex a big panel of sheet metal.

I see what you're saying. But still, would I be getting the most out of putting my money into an HDC4 as a daily sub? Or would I be better off with two HDC3s?

Two 18s is a TON of cone area. I've sat in SUVs with 2 18s on about 2500w that were nasty.
But back to the original post, you'd be running 1.5x the power but half the cone area. You could expect to be somewhere around 1-2dbs quieter than him on average... of course, a lot will depend on electrical, deadening, and other parts of the install.

4.5k may be a little much for a single HDC4 though. I'd look into something like a Tantric SHD, DC lv5/6, or maybe two 12s or 15s. Two 15s would have more cone area and get you at about the same output as that guy.
I see what you're saying. I mean, i'd like to keep most of my install SoundQubed gear. But thanks for the input!

I see what you're saying. But still, would I be getting the most out of putting my money into an HDC4 as a daily sub? Or would I be better off with two HDC3s?
Yes. 2 hdc3's will be louder than 1 hdc4

and that hdc4 won't take 4500 RMS. It would burp it or play it for a short time. But it would not play daily on that.

should be fine. im about to rebuild and get another hdc3 18 and put about 3.2k rms to it. the hdc4 will be fine on 4.5k. hell ive seen 4k on the hdc3's before. they are a bit underrated

should be fine. im about to rebuild and get another hdc3 18 and put about 3.2k rms to it. the hdc4 will be fine on 4.5k. hell ive seen 4k on the hdc3's before. they are a bit underrated
Maybe if you keep the distortion wayyyy down and it see's 4.5k occasionally. But if it saw that constantly. No way.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.