what the hell, my infinity 6x9's keep having problems!!!

mrmafioso04
10+ year member

ok my infinities sounded good for a few days when i first got them. I have had them for a month and they sound hella worse. Now when both the speakers are playing the right speaker makes a really ugly noise. The voice and the bass are very distorted, they sound like crap. But when i set it to only play the left speaker it sounds good pretty clear, but when both speakers are playing it sounds like crap, and when i play just the right speaker it sounds like crap. Could it be that my right speaker has blown or my amp is messed up.

i have infinity kappa 6x9's that handle 110 watts rms

i have a profile amp that is *supposed* to give 100 watts rms x2

I had the same problem i upgraded my wiring from the speakers to the amp, if thats good then check to see if they are wired right on the amp......if not then yes maybe the right one is blown :[

Hi,

Did you install it or the stereo store ?

For any electrial stuff, you have to have the

wire connected correctly, otherwise it will blow all of your expensive gears.

I would go with the most basic step first. Thus, I would go back carefully check all of the cable to make sure the (+), (-), Right, Left, etc... hook up correctly. If the (+) wire go to (-) , then the sound can't be right on that speaker, it can't last long. Also the amp have to provide enough power for that each speaker . Ex. If it rated at 100 watts rms/300watts peak , then the power from the amp to feed for that speaker have to be at 100 watts rms minimum. So it would give your speaker sound much more clean & crispy.

Well, lets start by saying Profile isn't exactly a great amp manufacturer. They may be over rating the specs. So you may not be getting 100 watts rms. You may have sent it a clipped signal which we all know what that does to a voice coil. I seriously doubt its your wiring. If your speakers were out of phase neither would sound that good not just one of them sounding bad. I'm sorry to say that its probably a burned up voice coil. You could make sure that the gains are matched on that amp though. If the one side is alot higher than the other that would cause one to distort. Well, I hope I helped atleast a little bit.

Adam //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

I noticed with my kappa 6x9s that the amp I had powering them made a HUGE difference. I was running first American Legacy(any bass on them sounded like crap), then Soundstorm (sounded better, got louder, but bass still distorted). Clarion HU, (bass sounded like crap)

Now I am running a Blaupunkt class 't' amp on them and they do their full range down to 40hz and they hardly distort. At 100wrms I can still get them to fart at louder volume, but it isn't a problem anymore.

Well, lets start by saying Profile isn't exactly a great amp manufacturer. They may be over rating the specs. So you may not be getting 100 watts rms. You may have sent it a clipped signal which we all know what that does to a voice coil. I seriously doubt its your wiring. If your speakers were out of phase neither would sound that good not just one of them sounding bad. I'm sorry to say that its probably a burned up voice coil. You could make sure that the gains are matched on that amp though. If the one side is alot higher than the other that would cause one to distort. Well, I hope I helped atleast a little bit.
Adam //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif
i m guessin u have the newere profile amps. they put out what they are rated at, nothing more nothing lesss. and they are not a bad amp company to tell u the truth. they are not in pyramid legacy level, n they r not as bad as sony stuff neither.

good amps for the money.

even if the specs were overrated, that has nothing to do with blowing the speakers. My guess is u tuned the amp wrong. Profile makes solid amps i use one and it does a great job.

Check that you dont have any water accessing the door. The seals went bad on my old truck and it really fukd up the speakers. Check the seals on the door, taking the speakers out would be the best idea

I'll keep it short and simple. First check the wiring, sometimes it may get crimpped somewhere and ground out thus making for terrible sound. If your wiring is ok then your speaker is blown. Even though they're good speakers they can't handle bass notes. If your amp doesnt have a crossover I would get an amp that has one. Cut out the bass signals and use them for mid bass and mid range drivers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.