what size box

BassBallin

Banned
i need a box for a 13w6v2 and jl recomends 1.875 @ 34.5 but i was wondering since it isnt a 12 shouldnt it be in a bigger box like 2.5-3.5 cubic feet or somethin??

does anyone kno if i should just do the recomended specs or has anyone built a bigger box for a 13w6 and it worked out well?

Does the company know what this guy wants out of his system? I can tell you right now that the 1.875 @ 35 will not go well for what I like.
agreed. companies will also put up their box specs to optimize the life of the sub, not to get the best performance from it.

Does the company know what this guy wants out of his system? I can tell you right now that the 1.875 @ 35 will not go well for what I like.
it was more of a statement geared towards his generalization that XXX size woofers should go in this size box...a better question from him would have been "what size box should i use for this woofer if i'm looking for XXX?"

agreed. companies will also put up their box specs to optimize the life of the sub, not to get the best performance from it.
yeah right...i think they enginner the box to get out what they designed the sub to do...if they simply build the box to extend sub life then eventually they probably lose sales.

The W6 is built for SQ and thats what they designed the box for given all the subs properties

yeah right...i think they enginner the box to get out what they designed the sub to do...if they simply build the box to extend sub life then eventually they probably lose sales.
The W6 is built for SQ and thats what they designed the box for given all the subs properties
they may do a happy middle. i'm not saying that every company does this, but i've rarely built a box for a sub that wasn't bigger than what the manual recommends.

they may do a happy middle. i'm not saying that every company does this, but i've rarely built a box for a sub that wasn't bigger than what the manual recommends.
there's definately room to build what you like but i think they adjust the RMS more than the box size to extend sub life.

there's definately room to build what you like but i think they adjust the RMS more than the box size to extend sub life.
you may be right. some companies sure do put up small boxes in the manual, especially sealed. type r's are a good example. .85^3 per sub, sealed is really small. they sound much better in a box nearly double that.

i need a box for a 13w6v2 and jl recomends 1.875 @ 34.5 but i was wondering since it isnt a 12 shouldnt it be in a bigger box like 2.5-3.5 cubic feet or somethin??
does anyone kno if i should just do the recomended specs or has anyone built a bigger box for a 13w6 and it worked out well?
I built more enclosure's for JL subs than any other subwoofer and generally speaking if you build to the spec's JL states, you won't be disappointed with the bass response and output.

If you go to large on the volume, JL's have nasty tendency to get sloppy with the low bass frequency's, but, it the volume is alittle under they do have a nice tight bass response.

Companies care way more about profits than functionality (why do you think JL charges so much for their stuff?). Keeping returns low helps the companies in a couple of ways: 1) Saves money for warrantied items. 2) Helps give the rep of the driver being sturdy and built well if people are using these enclosures and the drivers aren't failing mechanically.

JLs also have a rep for mechanical failure so it makes perfect since that they recommend an enclosure like this. They know their rep as being the "best" will generate sales, along with an excellent marketing team.

I've head plenty of JL subs in the JL spec enclosure and I have yet to like any of them. My old w6 sounded pretty terrible in them but it did handle power better.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.