What size box?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Raisedin305
5,000+ posts

Banned
Miami,FL
Hey I want to make a custom (bigger) box for my two 15" Kicker L7s. They are DVC 2. I have them running off an orion 2500d amp down to .5 ohm. Right now I have two ported boxes (1 for each sub) that I bought off of eBay. They dont sound so bad but I want something bigger and louder for spl competitions. I was wondering if I should just stick with these boxes for daily use and make a custom box for the L7s with about 10cubic ft tunned to 45 or 50hz for spl and put that box in my car when im going to shows and things? I have a 05 ford expedition but the reason I dont want such a huge box for daily use is because I have split bench seating and if I have to remove the third row I can only carry four people in there and I do carry alot of people usually. Right now I can fold up the third row seats but not all the way back, just enough for people to sit down but not put their seatbelts on. Do you guys think I should do this?

I would build a new box..I hate prefabricated boxes just because they are a standard box not built to your subs requirements.

You could always build a smaller ported enclosure(around 6 or 7 cu.ft. ported to whatever tuning frequency you want instead of the 10 cu.ft. you asked about and it will still sound better than the boxes you have now.

Is it true that I shouldn't build such a big box because I am already running about 1200 watts rms to the subs? Ive read Kickers ported box suggestions and they recommend up to 6.0 cubic feet per sub for a good SPL setup.

The bigger box helps teh sub perform better with less power, but I prefer bigger boxes just because of the sheer volume of the enclosure. You can get a lot of air movement with more volume and that is good for SPL.

You could build a box that big(6 cu.ft. per sub) but then you loose out on all of the truck space you seemed alittle worried about. Trust me, 2 15s in a 6 cu. ft. ported enclosure tuned to around 45hz is gonna be loud...will not sound the best when listening to music, but that is sometthing that you have to decide if you want to do or not. Why 45 to 50hz? Someone suggest that to you or was that Kicker's recommendation?

The bigger box helps teh sub perform better with less power, but I prefer bigger boxes just because of the sheer volume of the enclosure. You can get a lot of air movement with more volume and that is good for SPL.
You could build a box that big(6 cu.ft. per sub) but then you loose out on all of the truck space you seemed alittle worried about. Trust me, 2 15s in a 6 cu. ft. ported enclosure tuned to around 45hz is gonna be loud...will not sound the best when listening to music, but that is sometthing that you have to decide if you want to do or not. Why 45 to 50hz? Someone suggest that to you or was that Kicker's recommendation?
Im not sure if you understood what I was talking about. This box doesn't have to stay in my car all day. I am talking about building a box just for SPL competitions. So I would just stick to the ones I have in my car right now for daily driving so I can still sound good and have more space, then when a SPL competition is coming up swap the boxes. Take the small daily driving ones out and throw the 6.0 cubic feet boxes in there for show.
Good idea or bad idea?

Would you do that or just build a box 7.8cubic feet tuned to 35hz and use that for daily driving and SPL competition?

You could always build 2 boxes. 1 for daily driving and 1 for SPL. If you do that, then I would suggest trying to get around 12 cu.ft. ported for the SPL box tuned to around 50hz...maybe even a little higher. Then build the smaller box for the daily driver set-up and tune that to around 30hz.

You could always build 2 boxes. 1 for daily driving and 1 for SPL. If you do that, then I would suggest trying to get around 12 cu.ft. ported for the SPL box tuned to around 50hz...maybe even a little higher. Then build the smaller box for the daily driver set-up and tune that to around 30hz.
Thats exactly what im talking about. If I should just keep the stock boxes I have right now for daily driving and just make a huge box for SPL competitions, strictly for SPL.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.