What size battery?

Participant count
  • Participant list

sjv13
10+ year member

StayStrange
Alright, so I'm pricing out how much it would cost to upgrade my substage. I would go around 1000-1200 for the substage by possibly buying a pair of sa-12s off a local guy. I need to figure out what kind of amp I would get, but that's besides the point. I would be running 1200-1300wrms in the end. I still have to do the big 3, but after that, I think I'll need an extra battery possibly. Do you think so? My stock alt is 120amps if that helps. Not sure what ah my battery under the hood is though. What brand/kind/size of battery should I be looking at?

Also, what size fuse should go in-line right after the battery under the hood if I'm going to run some 0ga? Do I need to add an extra fuse somewhere if I stick the extra battery in-line just before the fused distro block?

Depending on what type of battery you have under the hood I would upgrade to the biggest size you can physically fit. I would just go to a local parts store and have someone try different batteries to see what group size fits, then order whatever battery you want in that size. Some recommend Optima yellow tops, Deka, or Kinetik. Whatever tickles your fancy. If you're still having voltage issues (I doubt you will with a 120a alt and a good battery) you should consider a second battery.

For fusing a second battery you will need one within 18" of the under-hood battery, and another within 18" of the other battery on the main power wire. 300 amp fuse will be more than enough for you.

with one big 102ah batt in the back, you would be good up to 2-2.5k from my experience. Depending on room under the hood, you could fit a 75ah as an upgrade but will most likely need one in the back as well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.