what size batteries and alternators?

Participant count
  • Participant list
I suggest having EA build your alt to put out a voltage in the high 14's (~14.8-14.9). Higher voltage means less current being drawn, and if you experience voltage drop it won't be nearly as bad.

I suggest having EA build your alt to put out a voltage in the high 14's (~14.8-14.9). Higher voltage means less current being drawn, and if you experience voltage drop it won't be nearly as bad.
Are you saying have them build me a large enough alternator to put me in the high 14s, or r u saying there is a way to make an alternator that puts out high 14s?

You can purchase the alternator and have them set it to charge at a certain voltage (13.8, 14.4, etc.) or you can get the regulator. The regulator will let you charge up to like 20v i think but it costs an extra $100 and for most people isn't necessary. 12v batteries shouldn't be charged at a voltage any higher than 14.9, after that you risk the batteries failing.

You can purchase the alternator and have them set it to charge at a certain voltage (13.8, 14.4, etc.) or you can get the regulator. The regulator will let you charge up to like 20v i think but it costs an extra $100 and for most people isn't necessary. 12v batteries shouldn't be charged at a voltage any higher than 14.9, after that you risk the batteries failing.
What do u mean by charge at a certain voltage? r u saying it only charges your batteries at that voltage or that it charges up to that voltage?

What do u mean by charge at a certain voltage? r u saying it only charges your batteries at that voltage or that it charges up to that voltage?
12v batteries that rest at around 12.8v don't like to be charged any higher than 14.9v because it can harm them. Your alternator charges at a certain voltage, older alts usually charge at 13.8 whereas the new ones charge at 14.4v. EA can set what voltage your alt will charge at, I'm saying you can have them set it to like high 14's without paying the extra $100 for a regulator just to set it there.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.