what referance level do you guys use for test tones?

Participant count
  • Participant list

devin171moto

CarAudio.com Regular
I'm in the middle of getting all the final tuning for 2 sa'12s in a center slot box. I orgional set my gain with a 40hz 0db sign wave.
I've heard alot of people debate this, saying its for radio mixes that are recorded super low.
I listen to mostly rebassed r@b and rap music. i try to stay below 35hz as over 40 is harsh to my ears i dont particarly like it.
I've heard of people using -3 and -6db for rebass stuff.
subce my amp is a 3k and the sa's are pushing 1500-2k watts. I want to find a point where I'm maximizing peak (tuned to 29hz) while also not over excurting if i play say a 24hz track. so i'm just going to listen for mechanical distortion from the subs and set it that way.
but im worried about a random 22hz wave in music slamming my voicecoil into my basket.

also i dont know if this is because I built the enclosure not the best.
but 26 hz absolutely pumps.
25 hz is easily half as loud as 26hz
and 24hz sounds like a single walmart 12. no extending as well as i'd hoped. maybe thats wishful thinking from a 3rd order bass reflex

if you want 0 clipping, use 0 db tones
i'm never going to clip because as I said my amp is a 3k. and the subs are 750rms a piece. they MIGHT take 2000 together because they are sunbdowns. I might get mechanical distortion or over excursion on low frequencies. but I wont clip.
as I understand at least.
I'm more worried about the potential for over excursion causing damage too far below port tune.
because even if i set it to its full potential at port tune. even if thats just 1200watts or so.
I could still over excurt at 23hz. I've never had a systen tuned this low so im looking for people with experience with balancing output across a decently wide and low frequency range. I.E. is it safe to just set them full tilt at port tune and dont worry about overexcursion too much above 23hz? or do i need to be extra careful.

just do it like this, the 50hz tone is at the bottom..

0 eliminates any chance of ever approaching clipping, not necessarily good as you're severely capping overall loudness.
-3 might allow slight clipping from a few recordings.
-6 will probably drift into clipping once in a while at high volume, probably not audible.

I've seen many in the SQ crowd recommend -10 for speakers and by ear on the subs to blend. Seems a little aggressive, but obviously works fine if you have an ear for distortion.

Last edited:
Are you using a subsonic filter? Also, if I remember correctly, the sub should have more output at port tuning but will actually move less.
im using a taramps smart 3. sadly it has no subsonic :(.
just a low and high pass. (0-90hz)(90-10k hz) which i felt was weird for a monoblock.
aslo yes thats my point. because where i may be safe pushing full power at port tune, as the subs are most efficient and excert less. I may over excurt at that same reference level on say a 22hz track. because the sub is forced to exert more to maintain spl below port toon thus hitting mechanical limits.

0 eliminates any chance of ever approaching clipping, not necessarily good as you're severely capping overall loudness.
-3 might allow slight clipping from a few recordings.
-6 will probably drift into clipping once in a while at high volume, probably not audible.

I've seen many in the SQ crowd recommend -10 for speakers and by ear on the subs to blend. Seems a little aggressive, but obviously works fine if you have an ear for distortion.
that's pretty much what i've heard. it seems like im just gonna have to run sweeps to make sure im not getting mechanical distortion. and ramp it up on music. problem is the car is flexing so hard I always think I hear subs clicking but when I open doors and hatch to look they sound smooth so. I guess sa- recones are cheap whatever lol

What ***** even more is what EQ even has adjustments that low really? Well, only one real solution... back that gain down brother... or get some 15's ;)
thats the funny thing about it. cuz I bought these thinking they would be so overkill and I'd never need more. came from 2 rockford p1 10's.
and I've had them less than a month and I'm already itching to slam at 20hz lmaoooooooo SHOULDA GOT THE 15'S

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.