what purpose does bass knob serve??

I always got my fingers on my remote knob.
1) some songs just got too much bass....

2)cops... they heard you from miles. I little finger tip and i'm not guilty of anything

3)I'm not always in the mood for music at 140db

4)when you want to talk a little without dropping the music volume

5)red light or traffic. I have some respect !

I'm using the bass knob even more the volume one
I think I understand the purpose of using it now..

BUT my question now is that I thought that bass boost is supposed to be bad for your amp and now it is okay to use the remote bass knob? or the bass boost and remote bass knob is a completely different thing?

UNLESS what everyone meant by "bass boost is bad" is when the gain is set while the bass boost is turned off?

I didn't have time to read through but I will answer it blindly. With almost all of the modern day amplifiers it is a remote gain attentuator, meaning it mutes the gain from full as set on the amp to zero. This controls the amount of gain pre set at a max on the amp meaning it cannot go any higher then what you set on the amp itself. If you set the gain on the amp to 1/2 and if you turn the remote up all the way then it will only get as high as the 1/2 gain set on the amp. Bass boost is totally different and is only introlduced if you select so on the amp. If you turn the Bass boost up on the amp it acts like a single band parametric EQ (sp) usually centered around 40hz with a slope between 12/24db/octave. If you have this turn on then as you turn the gain remote up it introduces the preset amount you selected in DB's on the amp into the signal thus elongating the waveform in that area. Lower the slope on the Bass Boost more neighboring frequencies will be effected and visa versa with a higher slope IE 24db/octave. Hope this helps...

Polo..

I dont see how can this one be different from what I have right now?
well it uses rca's rather than the bass boost on the amp itself.

it was my understanding that the boost should always be at zero, and using a bass control know only increases and decreases the boost feature. where as the control knob in the link i provided uses the rca's and controls the level of bass from there.

not 100% on this, i made a thread asking about this yesterday.

If you turn the bass boost to zero, plug the remote in and turn the volume up. If you get any type of control it is a remote gain attentuator not a BB level control. I never use any BB but then again adding EQ does the same thing. Too much of anything is bad having an ear for it helps but it is hard teaching new dogs old tricks //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Polo..

If you turn the bass boost to zero, plug the remote in and turn the volume up. If you get any type of control it is a remote gain attentuator not a BB level control. I never use any BB but then again adding EQ does the same thing. Too much of anything is bad having an ear for it helps but it is hard teaching new dogs old tricks //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Polo..
was that directed at me? cause i plan on taking out my eq soon and i wanted to keep the bass control feature.

Like said before a remote bass knob and a bass boost knob are two different things. Kicker amps come with a remote bass knob, which means its a secondary gain for your kicker amp. I set my gain on my kicker amp with the bass knob out, after i set my gain correctly i put the knob in, now when the knob is at max its the same as if the knob isn't plugged in you're amp is playing where the gain is set. So all the remote bass knob does is lower your amp gain so you get less bass. I love the remote gain cause some cd's i listen to are taped bad, so i have my gain on the amp turned a little higher than normal, so when i play a bad quality cd i can have the remote bass knob up and when i play a cd of good quality i can turn the knob down so don't clip my amp.Bass boost knobs boost certain frequencies like said and thats bad for your sub, i don't use bass boost at all, but i can't live without my remote bass knob. Its like having the amp gain at your fingertips

Like said before a remote bass knob and a bass boost knob are two different things. Kicker amps come with a remote bass knob, which means its a secondary gain for your kicker amp. I set my gain on my kicker amp with the bass knob out, after i set my gain correctly i put the knob in, now when the knob is at max its the same as if the knob isn't plugged in you're amp is playing where the gain is set. So all the remote bass knob does is lower your amp gain so you get less bass. I love the remote gain cause some cd's i listen to are taped bad, so i have my gain on the amp turned a little higher than normal, so when i play a bad quality cd i can have the remote bass knob up and when i play a cd of good quality i can turn the knob down so don't clip my amp.Bass boost knobs boost certain frequencies like said and thats bad for your sub, i don't use bass boost at all, but i can't live without my remote bass knob. Its like having the amp gain at your fingertips
Not to say anything but what you are saying is incorrect. The knob for a kicker amp has nothing to do with bass, it is a remote gain attentuator you can drop them a line and ask. After that what you were saying was more/less correct if you can understand it. What I typed was absolutely correct and came from Kicker themself...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif;)//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

Polo..

was that directed at me? cause i plan on taking out my eq soon and i wanted to keep the bass control feature.
Actually no just info aimed at everyone. Knowledge is power... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Polo..

Actually no just info aimed at everyone. Knowledge is power... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Polo..
And Knowing Is Half the Battle //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I completely understand you.. then thats great I guess I will use my knob since you said it pretty much is a secondary gain knob

Not to say anything but what you are saying is incorrect. The knob for a kicker amp has nothing to do with bass, it is a remote gain attentuator you can drop them a line and ask. After that what you were saying was more/less correct if you can understand it. What I typed was absolutely correct and came from Kicker themself...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif;)//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

Polo..
yeah but the kicker amps come with "remote bass control knob" but t-money up above just verified that it is considered as a remote gain knob so i will be installing the knob up in the front..

where do you guys normally mount the knob at?? I would like mine to be unnoticable

Good Idea. I have to have one in my Tahoe. I have 4 kicker L7 12s and A kicker 2500.1 amp The sub on my head unit is -6(which is maxed to - side) and it still hits really hard. Its good when I have the kids in the car i can turn way down

here is a pic under the red arrow. was showing another gp owner where to pull on the dash to remove it. i liked this spot.

dash1.jpg

some crossovers have them too. my hifonics crossover came with one. tried it out and didnt like it and hated getting blinded by the blue led. the control on my hu works fine and if i need to turn down my system quickly i hit the mute button on the remote which is usually in my hand anyways. also idk what kind of remote it is but i get better sound with it not hooked up. seem to get better punch without it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.