what purpose does bass knob serve??

JarvisB
10+ year member

JarvisB
MI/DC
I have a zx2500.1 and I used to have JBL GTO 1201.1 II

For both of them, I never have used the bass knob..

I never understood the purpose of having a bass knob unless you want to turn down the bass according to what song you are listening to? is that the only reason?

I usually have the bass boost on the amp turned down to zero and set the gains that way.. and then leave it as is..

Also, I suppose you got to turn the bass boost all the way up and then set the gains when it is all the way up if you want to use the knob.. so that way you wont fry the amp, correct?

I am not too sure if I want to add bass knob to my set up.. I am thinking maybe I should have it installed so whenever I want less bass I can just turn it down..

so any input on how should I decide if I should have the knob set up or not?

I have searched around for an explanation on this but I found nothing..

i used mine on my hifonics 2008d. it was nice, being able to turn down the sub amp gain up and down. and ya i set my gain with it all the way up so that i would not go above that level even at max on the knob.

i dont use those, most of them use the amps bass boost. also most hu's within the last probably 10 years have sub volume control already fyi.

turn the sub's up and down alone, without haveing to turn up or down the head unit..

and you say you never had one...

wow.. sad..

gotta have one on every amp i buy for my sub setup! gots ta have it!

Yeah I see when you turn it to the max, amp will be fine since you set the gains while it is at max

How often do you turn it down though?

I would turn the bass down a bit on the HU so that way I can get less bass? what is the difference?

bass boosts rob ampilfier power.i have never used them,but remote gain is really useful because the bass in every song is not the same loudness.

i dont use those, most of them use the amps bass boost. also most hu's within the last probably 10 years have sub volume control already fyi.
that is exactly what I was thinking

turn the sub's up and down alone, without haveing to turn up or down the head unit..
and you say you never had one...

wow.. sad..

gotta have one on every amp i buy for my sub setup! gots ta have it!
lol just never bothered to do it

so I just get to turn the knob down (which is easier) rather than fiddling with the HU?

that is the only advantage I get out of using bass knob eh?

BUT I could just give it a try, we will see lol

Yeah I see when you turn it to the max, amp will be fine since you set the gains while it is at max

I would turn the bass down a bit on the HU so that way I can get less bass? what is the difference?
i would turn it down when i felt like it lol. when i have people in the car and i want to be able to hear them talking or when i demo for someone start it with it all the way down then turn it all the way up. get a little suprise. haha

your affecting the sound of all channels when adjusting the bass. if you hit menu on your hu it probably has a sub control already built in.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

i use mine. it's a must for some music that doesn't need the lows.
When I am driving, I tend to listen to songs that got the lows ha.. but I could use less bass when I am on roadtrips

bass boosts rob ampilfier power.i have never used them,but remote gain is really useful because the bass in every song is not the same loudness.
This makes me wonder..

I am wondering if I have the knob set at the max and then set the gains. So whenever I have the knob at the max level, then will it be 100% similar to setting the bass boost to minimum and set the gains(and not use the knob at all)? Let me know if I am not clear on this..

i would turn it down when i felt like it lol. when i have people in the car and i want to be able to hear them talking or when i demo for someone start it with it all the way down then turn it all the way up. get a little suprise. haha
Maybe I should do that lol

your affecting the sound of all channels when adjusting the bass. if you hit menu on your hu it probably has a sub control already built in.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif
good point there, and yeah I meant the sub control, my bad

mine was a gain knob not bass boost at least tahts what the people at maxxsonics told me when i emailed them.
really? interesting

then you would need a DMM attached so that way you can know that you wont overturn your gains and blow the amp?

And would you still set the gains on the amp itself?

edit: anyone got an idea if kickers amp's knob is a bass knob or a gain knob

Maybe I should do that lol

good point there, and yeah I meant the sub control, my bad
the only difference would be an ugly box with a blinding blue led on it somwhere under your dash about where an old man would put his cb. oh and another wire to run and hide.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.