What makes a raw driver ideal for vehicle use?

Participant count
  • Participant list

cajunduck

CarAudio.com Newbie
What are the specs you have to look for to determine if a certain raw driver is good for automotive use? And how do you tell what mid is compatible with what tweeter? For instance, can you go to a site that sells the diy kits for home use, use the paired drivers and tune it using a DSP?

Well if you can seal off the rear of the speaker from the front of the speaker than pretty much anything is going to work. If you are able to do that then look at the speakers response chart. If it is covering the frequencies you want it to cover then that will work even better. If that drivers power handling and sensitivity are good then it should get pretty loud and clear. Will it fit? Can you make it fit? The benefit of these drivers is they are usually much better quality than the stuff you normally buy and sometimes cost much less. Sometimes a lot more. Best of all you can mix and match and pick and choose what YOU want. Here are a few that people seem to like... links below:

Tweeter
Midrange small
Midrange
Midwoofer

To simplify... they do not have to be the same brand speakers and you can tune all of them (crossovers and eq's) with the DSP to fit the acoustics of the vehicle. Use the manufacturers recommendations as a starting point for each driver.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.