What kind of box should I go with?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Before anyone tells me to google, I already did, and didn't find much, or at least didn't much that I understood.

What kind of box should I look for?

Vehicle : 2008 Honda Civic EX Sedan

Location in the vehicle: Trunk

Space available (Length x Width x Height): The whole trunk?

Subwoofer make and model: Dayton Audio RSS315HO-4

Subwoofer Size: 12"

Number of Subwoofers: 2

Type of Port (Kerfed, Slot, Aero, etc.): Ported?

What type of music do you like?: Rap, Hip-Hop, rarely House

Is your goal SPL or Everyday Music?: Everyday

Tuning Freq (Hz): ??

Volume : ??

Questions: If anyone make's custom boxes, preferably in the DFW area, can you send me some quotes please?

According to Parts Express and Bass Box, those woofers will do well in .98ftⁿ each tuned at 36 Hz and that's probably a good arrangement for them in a trunk car. So you won't need the whole trunk for them. ;-)

As for the other points of confusion you highlighted...

Kerfed, slot, aero and etc are all port types. Etc would be something like a PVC pipe used as a port, aero is a type of round port that has flares at both ends. This can be accomplished by heating and forming PVC or, aero ports can be purchased. Slot ports are square or rectangular (usually) ports that are made from the same or similar material that the box is made from and are the least expensive and troublesome to build. Kerfs are simply slot ports with at least one side of the port formed in a curve, which accomplishes the same thing the flares on an aero port do... which is reducing port turbulence and thus, noise. Kerfs aren't that complicated but they are time consuming to build, so they add a good bit of labor and thus, cost, to the process of building a slot port.

Tuning frequency is the frequency at which the box is tuned to produce its highest acoustical gain, if any. It is also the point at which a loudspeaker begins its decline in frequency response (on the low end of the bass spectrum for simple ported boxes). Parts Express recommends a tuning of 36 Hz for this woofer and what that means in reality is that a box tuned to that frequency will start to make a rapid decline in its response at about 34 Hz, depending on a few other factors. You could tune the box to 30 Hz and that would extend the low end reach of the sub but it would also likely cause a dip in frequency response five Hertz or so above tuning and until maybe 10 Hz above that. But honestly we wouldn't know unless we modeled the driver in such a box.

I'm in Shreveport, which is about 200 miles from you but I do have occasion to drive to Tyler to visit my parents, which is pretty much the half way point, depending on where you are in DFW. I could build a box and ship it or, if you could take a road trip to Tyler, I'd be happy to deliver one at no charge. Also, there is a USACI show in Longview on the 29th and I will be there. That's weekend after next and it might be fun if you're interested in seeing a bunch of bass nerds showing off their systems and their rides.

If you're interested in something like that, PM me and I'll model a box for you and give you a quote.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.