What is "SQ" these days?

honestly think even his current setup if ran active with more power to the midbass and tweeter, then fully SQ tuned with a DSP, he'd be pretty happy.
I do like these tweeters. Fingers crossed that my co-worker is going to sell me his G6 Coupe. If this happens... i'm going to want some good stuff. Like those Audiofrog GB15 tweeters. Man those things look like they would do work!

I do like these tweeters. Fingers crossed that my co-worker is going to sell me his G6 Coupe. If this happens... i'm going to want some good stuff. Like those Audiofrog GB15 tweeters. Man those things look like they would do work!
Research beaming. That is a hard one.

It effects dispersion.

Dispersion effects imaging/staging

Most tweeters can not play low enough to eliminate midrange beaming in a 2 way.

But without a reference you probably won’t notice.

Without a reference you have no idea what the terminology means.

You really should read that link I posted and save it as a reference.

SQ does have a text book definition.

its one of the last fully made in america brand from amps, to speakers to subs. Pretty stout stuff but it has exorbitant prices.
Tell me about it bro. There prices are high. I just picked up this week there mmats sq4160(4 channel) for 900$ + shipping.

Its really funny how the car audio landscape has changed over the years. Like the OP, I too fell into the scene in the beginning of the 90's. Things were all about sound quality and clean installs. Now it seems like everything is about being loud, and the installs are atrocious. I love seeing youtubes of cars hitting 150db but the HU isn't even properly mounted.

Its really funny how the car audio landscape has changed over the years. Like the OP, I too fell into the scene in the beginning of the 90's. Things were all about sound quality and clean installs. Now it seems like everything is about being loud, and the installs are atrocious. I love seeing youtubes of cars hitting 150db but the HU isn't even properly mounted.
actually there's a good reason for some of those videos. Once you are past 150 db, the organization does not allow you to be inside the car when competing/burping so a lot of people have the head unit portable.

Research beaming. That is a hard one.It effects dispersion.

Dispersion effects imaging/staging

Most tweeters can not play low enough to eliminate midrange beaming in a 2 way.

But without a reference you probably won’t notice.

Without a reference you have no idea what the terminology means.

You really should read that link I posted and save it as a reference.

SQ does have a text book definition.
It's a helpful read. Over the years I have read so many car audio and home audio magazines that talk about imaging, sweet spots, overlap, crossover points, cancellations, seating positions, speaker height, speaker placement and distances, cones vs domes... so much information it started leaking out of my ears.

It's harder in a car to get physical distances and positioning where they need to be for proper imaging. My home was easier. I have two Bose 2001 speakers on stands aprx. 7 feet apart and aprx. 10 feet in front of me and they are head high while I am sitting. They are complemented by a Yamaha active servo sub over near the corner of the room about 12 feet away. Sounds great. The car is going to be rough because I plan to put the speakers in the factory locations (hidden), so off-axis for the most part. Challenge accepted.

DSP has no mic, you normally just get something like this on a budget that works pretty well

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-imm-6-calibrated-measurement-microphone-for-tablets-iphone-ipad-and-android--390-810

and use it with REW (room eq wizard) a free RTA software as you tune on your laptop. Tuning will be done by ear and RTA. There is no autotune because most of all autotune softwares are garbage exception of the JBL MS8 which is out of production atm.
I ordered this mic to use with my cell phone. I don't own a laptop. Do you know of a reliable android app to use with this mic?

It's a helpful read. Over the years I have read so many car audio and home audio magazines that talk about imaging, sweet spots, overlap, crossover points, cancellations, seating positions, speaker height, speaker placement and distances, cones vs domes... so much information it started leaking out of my ears.
It's harder in a car to get physical distances and positioning where they need to be for proper imaging. My home was easier. I have two Bose 2001 speakers on stands aprx. 7 feet apart and aprx. 10 feet in front of me and they are head high while I am sitting. They are complemented by a Yamaha active servo sub over near the corner of the room about 12 feet away. Sounds great. The car is going to be rough because I plan to put the speakers in the factory locations (hidden), so off-axis for the most part. Challenge accepted.
We can get a car pretty good these days. Getting use to the center being not center is the weird part. Bass on the hood. Stage from pillar to pillar. Depth dash to hood.

I ordered this mic to use with my cell phone. I don't own a laptop. Do you know of a reliable android app to use with this mic?
Those paid apps and you'll need a pink noise generator or pink noise on a usb/cd. For android you might need a splitter cable so the phone doesn't automatically treat it as headphones but as an actual mic instead.

I agree. I am getting used to it with this Kenwood HU I have now. I have the seating position set to me (drivers seat) It was a drastic shift to the left. It also has an elevation option as well as width. I have the elevation set to high, width is off. Honestly, I am amazed at how much stuff this head unit does. By the way, it is doing it again where I have to view my thread as a printable document to be able to see anything past page two. How do I fix this?

I agree. I am getting used to it with this Kenwood HU I have now. I have the seating position set to me (drivers seat) It was a drastic shift to the left. It also has an elevation option as well as width. I have the elevation set to high, width is off. Honestly, I am amazed at how much stuff this head unit does. By the way, it is doing it again where I have to view my thread as a printable document to be able to see anything past page two. How do I fix this?
You have no idea.

Those kenwood settings are just artificial EQ boosts not really any advanced sound features(yes i played with them, they are on every other kenwood headunit nowadays). You achieve the same thing but better through a DSP tuning like what the guy in the video loss linked. Note there's 14 parts to that video series so just check out his channel, its some very in depth stuff.

actually there's a good reason for some of those videos. Once you are past 150 db, the organization does not allow you to be inside the car when competing/burping so a lot of people have the head unit portable.
Whatever the reason is, it still looks like crap. Are you saying that installs have gotten cleaner since the 90's?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

ThxOne

Premium Member
The Boss
ThxOne
The United States of America
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date