What is "SQ" these days?

Great information.

you said L/R and R/L? Matrix surround sound is normally expressed as L-R and R-L (pronounced left minus right).???

Don't worry too much about it, surround sound is not well understood, and even the experts are confused! I'm serious!

As long as the drivers are not beaming the stage will be eye level.

- this is what I'm saying!

- it only makes the passenger seat better? What? I don't get it? Not in my experience.

And it doesn’t work with every song.

- This is true! matrix Surround sound, what we are talking about, depends on the recording.......... some will sound stellar, but with some it wont make much of a difference. Very true.

a couple more points:

- delay is not always necessary for surround speakers - if they are as far or farther from you than the front stereo speakers. This assumes they are true surround signals in the back - which would be devoid of front channel information, namely lead singer.

(Sorry if this is confusing guys, this is seriously advanced chit, lol)

Great information.
you said L/R and R/L? Matrix surround sound is normally expressed as L-R and R-L (pronounced left minus right).???

Don't worry too much about it, surround sound is not well understood, and even the experts are confused! I'm serious!

As long as the drivers are not beaming the stage will be eye level.

- this is what I'm saying!

- it only makes the passenger seat better? What? I don't get it? Not in my experience.

And it doesn’t work with every song.

This is true! matrix Surround sound, what we are talking about, depends on the recording.......... some will sound stellar, but with some it wont make much of a difference. Very true.

a couple more points:

- delay is not always necessary for surround speakers - if they are as far or farther from you than the front stereo speakers. This assumes they are true surround signals in the back - which would be devoid of front channel information, namely lead singer.

(Sorry if this is confusing guys, this is seriously advanced chit, lol)
You are not listening. Stereo is 2 channel. Not surround. It has to be upmixed. Only 2 DSPs upmix. I have one of them. It makes the passenger seat better because it has real center channel steering.

I understand that stereo is not surround..............you need either a processor to extract the rear surround channel, or another way of doing it

I would imagine there are a couple of DSP's that can do it.

Originally, I used a Hafler hookup on a common ground amplifier. That was years ago...............not possible today............all amps today are Fosgate clones, with an inverter in one channel (Shocker!)

oh, and when I say "years ago".............I was cruising Daytona beach Florida with a surround sound car system way back in 1989!! It was a head-turner......... super crystal-clear sound for the time period.

The latest way I had surround sound in the car was with a Sony head unit which had Dolby surround. Awesome!

OMG you are such a tool.

Quite frankly, technology that makes a difference in sound quality has changed very little in the last 30+ years. You are off your rocker.

Other than than hi res, which is the biggest improvement in 30 years, which you don't believe in

By the way, the Head unit I have that has Dolby surround is sony mex-dv2200

OMG you are such a tool.
Quite frankly, technology that makes a difference in sound quality has changed very little in the last 30+ years. You are off your rocker.

By the way, the Head unit I have that has Dolby surround is sony mex-dv2200
I can’t blame you. When I got tired of SPL and went to SQ I took what I did 20 years ago and got my *** wiped. Bad. Now I don’t.

Btw whatever you think your HU can do. Unless you have point source drivers that don’t beam at all 4 corners and a center channel you are not getting 5.1
- that's a good point, I agree. The standard 6-7" drivers in component speakers in cars are beamy............ most of the popular component speaker in cars are a great mistake................that's why I prefer 5.25" component sets with low crossover points. I know exactly what you are talking about.

As I said in my fist post in this thread - speakers are important............and that goes for the size, crossover point, and everything.

- that's a good point, I agree. The standard 6-7" drivers in component speakers in cars are beamy............ most of the popular component speaker in cars are a great mistake................that's why I prefer 5.25" component sets with low crossover points. I know exactly what you are talking about.
As I said in my fist post in this thread - speakers are important............and that goes for the size, crossover point, and everything.
They are the most important part imo. But having networks helps. As long as the drivers play the bandwidth needed.

The best car I’ve ever heard had a 10 in each kick playing 20-250hz and a 3in wideband in each pillar on axis. But your head couldn’t move
Yup! move your head a little, or change the volume or the gain on an amplifier, and the whole sound changes! LOL! This audio thing is confusing, will make your whole head spin, lol!

It’s onlu because of the widebands. Point sources tend to do it also.
right, widebands, wizzers, tend to be directional, I understand. I prefer a good two-way component system, they tend to minimize distortion in the high registers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

ThxOne

Premium Member
The Boss
ThxOne
The United States of America
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date