what is low imp?

In the context of this discussion, its not an issue. When discussing the AC circuit between the amp and speakers, the audio industry uses the terms resistance and impedance interchangeably. Shredder1 is correct. There's really no reason to split hairs here. We'll just end up confusing the OP.
Now that's whats up!... over technical answers do hurt my old addled brain... and confuse new guys!

In the context of this discussion, its not an issue. When discussing the AC circuit between the amp and speakers, the audio industry uses the terms resistance and impedance interchangeably. Shredder1 is correct. There's really no reason to split hairs here. We'll just end up confusing the OP.
like providing the opposite description of parallel and series load results

The OP just asked what's considered low impedance. You chose to muddy the thread with technical discussion, albeit misinformed technical discussion. It's not splitting hairs; You were just plain wrong on several accounts, and that needed to be addressed for future readers. Otherwise you'll cause some guy to wire higher than 1 or 2 ohms because he would be closer to creating a dead short.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/waycrazy.gif.f4a380c3f94043939fd369defd9e6be2.gif

A good rule of the thumb is to avoid technical discussion unless a poster specifically asks for it, and definitely avoid it if you don't fully understand the topic.

Splitting hairs, connecting your speaker wires together wouldn't even be a zero ohm load for your amp.... All substances have a certain amount of impedance. It would be low, but nonzero.

0 ohms is like 0 degrees Kelvin. It's not really possible

"1) Impedance is not resistance; it's impedance, resistance is reserved for DC current. Impedance, in regards to car audio subs ratings, is typically a nominal measure of how much an AC current is "impeded" by the load. "

Like I've already stated, in context of this discussion, the industry treats the 2 as interchangeable. If you like, I can look up an example and copy and paste it for you.

"2) 2 ohms away from a dead short is very much an overly dramatic description. You are NEVER going to get close to a dead short with a subwoofer when it's wired at 2 ohms. You WILL NEVER reach an impedance below the DCR (DC Resistance) of the voice coil, which typically is only a few tenths lower than the rated impedance in most car audio subwoofers. Also impedance typically rises in practice due to heat, box rise, inductance, etc. You definitely can't make make a blanket statement about frequency's effect on impedance when a large portion of the dynamic load is due to extremely complex EM interactions between any induced EMF and the subwoofer motor."

2 ohm's away from a dead short isn't dramatic, its a fact. In this case we're dealing with a 1 ohm load, not 2. If you would set your system up to create a 1ohm load over a 4 ohm load, then go ahead and do it. Its you system. I disagree. I would only do a 1 ohm load if I was forced to.

"3) A 2 ohm subwoofer amp is typically designed to handle the higher current associated with a lower impedance load. Unless your charging system is garbage or you bought a low quality amp it won't be overly hard on an amp. Have some faith in the engineers who designed some of the solid amps on the market today. Note: Typically it's much cheaper per watt to purchase an amp that produces solid power at lower impedances, and that power isn't just "on paper." High voltage amps tend to be a bit pricey and to maintain a similar power output at 4 ohms or higher is cost prohibitive to most consumers. I can find you a dozen affordable,reliable amps that make 2000 Watts at one ohm and handle it all day. 2000 Watts is a lot more difficult to find at 4 ohms, and you will likely be paying for it unless your willing to go with a Brazilian design."

Sorry, but a 4 ohm load is much easier on the amp than a 1 ohm load. To avoid a bunch of back and forth posts that go no where, I got some info on Crutchfields web site.

https://images.crutchfieldonline.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/1-DVC-2-ohm-mono-low-imp.jpg

Notice the warning for 1 ohm use.

"4) As others said you seem to have the concept of parallel and series wiring backwards."

Anyone can, and will, claim anything to win an argument. I made the OP aware of my 2 word typo, and you're just going to have to be OK with it.

The OP just asked what's considered low impedance. You chose to muddy the thread with technical discussion, albeit misinformed technical discussion. It's not splitting hairs; You were just plain wrong on several accounts, and that needed to be addressed for future readers. Otherwise you'll cause some guy to wire higher than 1 or 2 ohms because he would be closer to creating a dead short.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/waycrazy.gif.f4a380c3f94043939fd369defd9e6be2.gif
A good rule of the thumb is to avoid technical discussion unless a poster specifically asks for it, and definitely avoid it if you don't fully understand the topic.
I'm done apologizing for a simple typing error. FU. (If I missed anyone, let me know and I'll get to you as well)

Splitting hairs, connecting your speaker wires together wouldn't even be a zero ohm load for your amp.... All substances have a certain amount of impedance. It would be low, but nonzero.
0 ohms is like 0 degrees Kelvin. It's not really possible
Pure genius. Is it possible to blow your amp up if you touch the speaker wires? In this case, the resistance has nothing to do with audio equipment.

I'm done apologizing for a simple typing error. FU. (If I missed anyone, let me know and I'll get to you as well)
Yes... a typing error... I agree... sorta... the whole explanation WAS a bit much!.. Trying to be too technical takes the thread into a realm of discussion of theory and in this instance it probably made your mind wander while typing... OK, Fine... I'd keep it simple and leave the theory out of any answer... unless you are certain it is needed!

Hey bud I DID try to PM you so you could fix this before it became an issue... I waited 2 hours and then posted the original post by me. I could not wait any longer as someone could conceivably take your "ADVICE" and smoke an amp...LOL!... sorry

"1) Sorry, but a 4 ohm load is much easier on the amp than a 1 ohm load. To avoid a bunch of back and forth posts that go no where, I got some info on Crutchfields web site.

https://images.crutchfieldonline.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/1-DVC-2-ohm-mono-low-imp.jpg

Notice the warning for 1 ohm use.
running a 1 ohm load on an amp designed to produce 800 watts at 1 ohm and running a 4 ohm load on an amp designed to produce 800 watts at 4 ohm will be no different to the vehicles charging system.

if you dont want to be insulted stop making blanket inaccurate technical statements and not expect to be called on it.

Without "INSULTING" you... I will say this... I do proofread all my posts especially when they are long winded... I've used the "EDIT" function more than I'd like to admit... LOL!... maybe that would have saved you the embarrassment!.. and no I'm not calling you out with this... http://www.caraudio.com/forums/enclosure-design-construction-help/632625-ingenuity-needed.html ... I was merely hoping that I was not giving bad advice and if someone can tell me if I did this right... I took 2 days to solve this correctly... (I think I did)... as you can plainly read.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Anyone can, and will, claim anything to win an argument.
There is no argument; it's just Physics and a matter of clarification. You're just going to have to be ok that you were wrong in several of your statements and still have some learning to do before you understand impedance. There's no reason to be butthurt. It happens to the best of us.

That wasn't just a typing error; that was obviously a lack of understanding on your part.

Just to continue your education 1 ohms is still not anywhere close to a dead short. You have an infinite number of impedances between 1 ohm and a dead short //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif Sorry couldn't help myself.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/graduate.gif.d982460be9f153bb54e5d4cb744f6ae8.gif

On the off chance you want to understand impedance better and why running an amp at 1 ohm isn't the end of the world in many applications PM me and I'll get you sorted over the next couple of days. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif It'll save cluttering this thread further.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.