What flux and solder to use on 1/0 gauge?

Participant count
  • Participant list

AndrewHD
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Hey guys, I haven't really found a good answer to what I should be using for my ring terminals. So far I'm guessing silver 60/40 solder would be good as well as a lead free flux. Should I just get these from my local hardware store? What brands do you guys use. I already have a propane torch and planning on using open end terminals on 1/0 gauge wire.

your on the right track. where to get and what brand arnt that important. just make you when you solder the joint you get it hot enough

Never been a fan of doing this. For 5 bucks most local shops will crimp them properly with a hydraulic or a very large hand crimper. I know this always opens up a can of worms, but a solder joint on a wire that big really isn't recommended. That wire handles the most current of anything in your system, if something goes wrong and that wire gets hot, guess what happens to the solder? Granted there are other issues at that point, but it's still not safe in a case of overload. Plus solder can easily be messed by not getting it into the wire well enough. Too hot is bad, too cold is bad, it's just a PITA to be 100% sure you did it right. Leave the solder to wire that doesn't need a butane torch. I always crimp 0 gauge for that reason. Peace of mind for me.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.