LED lighting wiring questions 08 Pontiac G6

Participant count
  • Participant list

lipski24.ml
10+ year member

Wisconsin
I bought some led lights to put in my girlfriends car (08 Pontiac G6), the whole car is absolutely stock. No aftermarket anything. If possible, i wanted to wire them to the beat of the music, but I'm not exactly sure how. The lights have to be off a 12v power source, so i didn't know if i could just hook it up the speaker terminals. Or if i have to go off the head unit. Also, how do I wire in a switch to turn them off if needed. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

i had this same question...

basically it is possible to do this if you have a bunch of resistors to protect the LEDs

but i do know you can buy a little piece called a music interface off of amazon for around 30 bucks.

basically, you connect a set of RCA cables into the box and wire up the LEDs

Well I dont plan on buying that, it was just a simple thing.. I thought you could just hook them up to your 12v wire to the heaunit... Oh well, i might try that.

Huh...we're still doing those flashing lights in the cab? I thought that went out in the 90s.

"Yeah, babe. I'll wire your car up. I'll take care of it. Just let me ask the guys on the forum how."

Haha, just giving you some ish, OP. Do you really want these pulsating with the music? If you're willing to just throw them on a switch, this could get really easy for you.

Lol, yup.. Newb problems! I am just looking for ideas! And so how should i do it if i am just wanting a switch, it doesn't have to pulse to the music, that was just something i thought would be cool.

LEDs are DC devices and audio signals are AC. This is why you can't connect them to your speaker outputs.

To connect them to a switch, just get yourself a SPST switch at an auto parts store, connect negative directly to a negative source in the vehicle and then run the positive wire through the switch.

The power outlet (cigarette lighter) is a good place to find 12volts to grab.

either wire it onto a cigarette lighter input. or if you want it on a relay, tap the wire into a constant 12v source out of the fuse box, then put a switch on the negative wire

The car might not have a convenient 12v source.. I don't know about the G6s, but both of the Grand Prix's 12v outlets are in the center console. Unless the G6s are different, it might be easier for him to run it somewhere else rather than back halfway through the car.

Then again, I guess you could just tap into the wire up front.

Alright! I will have my step dad help me with it! He knows his ****. Lol, I would ask him first, except he just starts lecturing me about electricity and AC and DC power and just everything.. Ha! Thanks for the help though!

if you want a simpler route. simply run a wire from the battery through the car for the positive. then do the same with the negative. then just put a switch on either one

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.