What do you think of the xbl^2 motors?

I currently design many of my car woofers very much like what you are describing -- long top plates & long coils. For instance... the NS v.3 uses a 45mm top plate and 80mm long coil -- we have one placing very well in SQ competitions right now (I also used a full pole shorting sleeve on that one). So I won't say I disagree -- that will work very well.
It's the reality of what the majority of my customers want as well -- and you can certainly get respectable BL performance & very good sound quality.

Although, if I was designing for ultimate reference low distortion I would still opt for a linear topology like XBL or one of the alternatives. Which is what I'll be doing in such drivers =)
wish i was a chemist because lets face its the glues are typically the first thing to fail. imagine if we have a glue that could handle 1k degrees before breakdown. you could efficiently get the same output levels with have the power compression!

to me that would be the greatest improvement in a loudspeaker.

BTW those night shades are SICK. are they 8 layer coils?

remember those days of the DD 9500s with those horribly non linear spiders. i bet the FS over 20mm of stroke was 60hz,.. lol
Definitely -- the old 7" DD spiders tightened dramatically over stroke. I can't seem to find the DUMAX report but one of them was tested.

DD has come a long way in regards to lowering distortion, though, their new stuff uses nice big spiders =)

wish i was a chemist because lets face its the glues are typically the first thing to fail. imagine if we have a glue that could handle 1k degrees before breakdown. you could efficiently get the same output levels with have the power compression!to me that would be the greatest improvement in a loudspeaker.

I actually use a flat 4-layer coil in the NS v.3 -- I've grown to prefer them when I can use them in a design =) The "TEAM" series uses a 4" 4-layer coil as long as 100mm on the D2 option (50mm top plate).

I have some interesting plans from Dan regarding an ultra high-temp coil -- but it costs a ton of money to make them... maybe one day it'll happen.

I actually use a flat 4-layer coil in the NS v.3 -- I've grown to prefer them when I can use them in a design =) The "TEAM" series uses a 4" 4-layer coil as long as 100mm on the D2 option (50mm top plate).
I have some interesting plans from Dan regarding an ultra high-temp coil -- but it costs a ton of money to make them... maybe one day it'll happen.
****. i swear i didn't steal your design. lol. i have abit different ratio that has abit less motor strength and more stroke and i don't know about your CMS but my target mms is 300 grams and target CMS is .08. still just trying to get the motor strength mass and suspension stiffness where i want it but as you know those large linear spiders are softer. i really hate stacking spiders i personalty prefer mirrored spiders(another gripe)

i don't expect you to give design details just a discussion which i can have with like 0 people on topology and testing..

also I'm hoping the build-house is reliable and the parts suppliers don't give me the shaft like I've heard so many stories of!

i do too. and some of the basis are implemented in stress cones(used in high voltage terminations) and semiconductors for shorting purposes. maybe a discussion for another time..

wish i was a chemist because lets face its the glues are typically the first thing to fail. imagine if we have a glue that could handle 1k degrees before breakdown. you could efficiently get the same output levels with have the power compression!to me that would be the greatest improvement in a loudspeaker.

idk..gorilla glue just doesnt come off heh

Ive had the privilege of getting some stereo integrity tm65s and they are by far the lowest distortion woofer I have ever heard.
I have done a direct listening comparison vs the Hv165l woofer and I can say this. The hv165l is more detailed in every way however it still has that added distortion that I just cant get away from.

The xbl2 doesnt have that crisp detail that the hv165l has but that could be due to very different FR extension.

Its kind of hard to explain. Its like, do you guys remember the first time you heard your system with an 80prs or a high end HU/dsp, after you had swapped out from a cheaper deck. That cleanness of the signal, that holy crap what have I been missing moment. That's what its like hearing the low distortion motor.

I highly recommend trying a driver with the xbl^2 motor
I had the same experience. The TM65 in a 2 way wouldn't cut it for me, but i think as a dedicated midbass could be nice. The BM IV same kind of thing, great low end extension, smooth buttery sound, but it's perceived low volume, and the upper end frequency wasn't going to cut it in my van.

I got the new xbl^2 M25 tweeters from SI the other day and i can say there is no down side to these tweeters, they are just flat out very good tweeters in every way to my ears.

Gr research has a couple of mids that have it.

Diysoundgroup has the Anarchy mid.

CSS has a 4" midrange that has it and a couple of subs.

That's all I can think of of the top of my head.

Love my '05 RE XXX 12, they really do have a different sound to them. I never really thought about it as a lowered distortion that was causing it, it blends well with little "sub noise" for lack of a better way to describe it? Maybe thats the distortion being described. Anyways, carry on! Interesting stuff, minus the technical stuff papermaker is talking to sundownz about //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

I'd love to have a 2005 xxx or Brahma reconed with your linear suspension.
Is this possible?! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/sneaky.gif.7189749b3a3f769e8815b47e8ae87f88.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.