what do you think about this combo?

Participant count
  • Participant list

paikiah
5,000+ posts

Wangaholic
Seoul, Korea
Ok, I'm sooo very tired of my old amp and sub...

it's served me well for more than 5 years, but I guess it's time to upgrade some thigns, and I just got my yearly bonus and prize money for a sniping competition... I want to know what you guys think about this setup...

1 Rockford Fosgate Power 750S $322.00

1 Rockford Fosgate Punch HX2 RFD2212 $139.00

Total: $461.00

prices are quoted from http://www.ikesound.com.... I don't know whether to be suspicious or not about the prices, but dang, the total price is like 1/4 of what I'd have to pay for the same thing in Korea... I figure I could blow about $30~$50 in int. UPS shipping fees...

Or should I go overboard and get two 12"? once I do that, then the shipping would have to be reconsidered... no problem in the current dept, I've upgrded my alt to a 160amp... and I've got a brax 1F cap... ok, some people might start aboutthe cap, but come on, I've got it, so I might as well use it...

also, the two 10" that I would have leftover, should i decide to purchase the new RF's.. I was thinking about sealing the 2 X 10"s under the front seats and porting the HX2 in the back... or is it unneccessary? Cause I thought maybe this way, the subs can cover a wider frequency and get both the benefits of ported boxes as well as sealed?

I'm installing it in a minivan, so I don't have much worries about boot space, not using it anyway...

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Do tell me if I'm just going way over my head...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

Originally posted by Jmac Get the single 12", port it with a 750s

Keep the 10s, get more bass //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif They won't play more frequency, they'll just reinforce the bass and give punchier upper bass //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Alright.... I was thinking that too... or how about a 15"? there isn't that much of a price difference, and this time, I wanna by a combo which, again, will last me for another good 5 years or more... nowadays, I prefer SQ to SPL... are 15"s shite for quality? I read somewhere that HX2's are quite useless for SQ...

If I port the 12", and seal the 10"s, then isn't there a possibility that the 10"s might clip or distort long way before the 12"? If that's the case, wouldn't the 10"s be limiting the full potential of the HX2? As for punchier bass, I've got a 6" mid-bass... or that's nothing comapred to 10"s? FOrgive me if these questions are out of whack... I'm just an avid enthusiast who's trying to make the best of what I have...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

dont run your 10's and your 12 off the same amp..

not a great idea...

you might want to think about getting frid of hte 10's and getting 8's as midbass....

the tens and the 12's have very similar frequency ranges, and may not complement each otehr as well as you'd think...

EDIT - you are also going to want to cross the midbass drivers over at a much higher freq and the 12's fairly low... otehrwise, if you have too much freq. overlap, you could end up with some nasty cancellation issues due to each drivers lsightly different response....

however he does it, dont run the 2 sets off the same amp...

amp the 10's (or i really think 8's would do better...) with one and the 12's with another.... with each having its own crossover points...

DOn't worry, won't run the 10"s and 12"s off the same amp..

yeah, I was thinking maybe I'll just use the 10"s and the old amp in my room, for my ps2..:p

8", you say? 6"s are not powerful enough, or it don't cover the right frequencies?

Ok, this is my initial plan...

try to power as little speakers as possible from each amp, so the old sub amp can power my 6"s... the rest would stay pretty normal, with the addition of the new RF sub and amp...

I think Jmac's advice was good, the low pass and high pass stuff...but then I'd have to get myself an active xover to set all that... how about a homemade passive xover? WIll it be possible to make my own xovers that would be reliable? or for all that effort, would I be better off buying a set?

Darn, I just chacked Zapco 90 prices here...US$2500....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif does it cost that much in the US too? They tell me I also need to get special Zapco wires and crap which will add another US$50 or so...Am I just a cheapskate?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif

you can easily make your own, they just wont be as pretty, lol.

i would use 8's AND the 6's...

this way, you can make yourself a 3 way component set...

let each driver take care of what it does best..

teh tweets do the highs, the 6"'s do teh mids, and the 8's do the midbass and upper subbass, while the 12 takes care of the lower sub bass

Originally posted by paikiah prices are quoted from http://www.ikesound.com.... I don't know whether to be suspicious or not about the prices, but dang, the total price is like 1/4 of what I'd have to pay for the same thing in Korea... I figure I could blow about $30~$50 in int. UPS shipping fees...
I don't think anybody else said anything about Ikesound....but they are really respectable. They have great prices, fair shipping, and they are reliable. I mean, just look at his rating, over 25,000 I do believe without going and looking. Course, he has some bad ratings, but compared to his total? I think you can chalk those up to misunderstandings for the miniscule percentage they amount to.

Originally posted by Brutus2600 I don't think anybody else said anything about Ikesound....but they are really respectable. They have great prices, fair shipping, and they are reliable. I mean, just look at his rating, over 25,000 I do believe without going and looking. Course, he has some bad ratings, but compared to his total? I think you can chalk those up to misunderstandings for the miniscule percentage they amount to.

So have you bought any items from them before? I sent an email to them a couple of hours ago and I dont' know when they'll reply... but I want my sub and amp soon~~~

Oh, and now I'm trying to look into active xovers....the sub amp, does the built-in xover cut out enough? Actually, I want the 12"s to hit really low, deep bass, if I'm to use either a 10", 8" or a 6" to cover the rest of the frequencies...

The problem is, what to do with my 5.25" and 4" mids....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif think I've too many speakers for too little power...

here's my suggestions..

run your sub, (12 in your case, i would go 15 but if you want a 12, go for it..) your midbass, 8's in my eyes, your mids and highs... now these can be your component set, or your 4 inchers or your siz inchers and your tweet..

run 8's, 12, and ONE set of mids and a tweeter set... tahts my suggestion...

Originally posted by paikiah So have you bought any items from them before? I sent an email to them a couple of hours ago and I dont' know when they'll reply... but I want my sub and amp soon
Yep, bought two subs and an amp from them, and all got here safe and sound. My friend also bought an amp from them and he got it just fine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.