What do I need?

Participant count
  • Participant list

argenis69
10+ year member

SQ Bass Lover
NY, USA
Hello Guys, I would like to know,

-How many more batteries next to the bass amp do I really need for my setup(as stated in my signature)?

-Is there anything else I need?

P.S.: I can't fit a bigger alternator because there's no space in the engine, I have installed the biggest one that I could find for my car.

Thank you.

Depends on your voltage drop at the amp. The only way to tell is to run your amp at full tilt and measure the voltage on the power leads. If the voltage is dipping below 12.5V - 13V, you need more reserve power (batteries, alt, or both). A lot of guys go overkill for lack of understanding of current draw and voltage. Voltage = potential. Amperage = flow.

You can calculate your current requirements from your amp's current draw.

EXAMPLE: Just because your amp can draw ~400A at full tilt does not mean you need a 400A alternator(s). The average current draw will be somewhere around 200A, except on test tones.

Personally, I would rather run 1 large alternator and 2- 3 batteries.

Are you looking for reserve power for what's in your sig? Just figure out how much current you need to support running regularly. My guess is the alternator will help to a certain extent, but you really should look at swapping out the lead-acid up front for an AGM as mixing battery types can be bad juju. But with that HO alt, I would think an AGM up front and the D3100 should be more than enough for your needs as long as you have properly done the Big 3.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.