What do I need? (Big 3?, X-Battery?, HO Alt?, All 3?)

Speedfreely
10+ year member

Hey guys, I new here and I have been reading a bunch of posts but haven't yet read anything that quite answers my questions. I want to know if I need beefier electrical work in order for my new system to work properly. Here goes;

Installing:

Hifonics - Brutus Bxi1606D (1600x1 RMS @1 Ohm/1100@2 Ohms/550@4Ohm)

Alpine - MRV-F345 (75 RMSx4 @4 Ohms/100 RMSx2 @2 Ohms ch:3&4)

Pioneer DEH-P7800MP (3 - 4V outputs)

Kenwood KGC-6042A

Hifonics - 6.5" Coax AS62CXI (100 RMS@4 Ohms)

JBL - 6"x9" GTO937 (100 RMS@2 Ohms)

BOSS - 1Farad Cap

Distribution Block: Manufacturer TBD

SUB - TBD (Thinking of doing a fiberglass sealed enclosure based on awkward hatch space with 2 - 10" Alpine Type R's (500 RMS) wired for 2 Ohm load...Open to suggestions of course...budget about $350 for Subs)

I have a stock alternator producing 110 amps.

My listening habits: Usually, moderately loud to just casual listening of classic rock, heavy metal, occasional dance (club) and sports talk radio. Very rarely (real loud and singing along like a fool...Friday nights after the races!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/up2something.gif.dd110ecf3ae4b76050d87598f2f8de7c.gif ) I also never ever run my system with my car off!

Questions:

1. What guage Power Wire is recommended? Brutus amp recomends 4G in...can I run 4G from my Battery to a Dist Block or must I run thicker guage to block, then 4G out to amp?

2. Should I seriously consider doing the Big 3? Can I get away with doing just these along with the CAP and be sufficient?

3. Do I need a second battery? If so, where can I mount it? no room under the hood and I read somewhere you need a vented enclosure inside the vehicle? What is that all about?

4. Do I need a HO Alt?

5. If I build a glass sealed enclosure, how many layers of glass do I need if I use the Alpine Type R's for example?

I know I'll have more questions, but I figure this is enough to pop my New Thread Cherry! Blah!!!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Thanks!

Also, what's a good rule of thumb for my in-line fuse on the power wire from Batt to Dist Block given my system parameters? Do I need a fused Dist Block also? If so, what size fuses should I install?

def. start with big-3!!

everybody's gonna kick my ass for suggesting this, but i too run a hifonics amp, and i gained a lot of punchiness by adding a kinetik battery in place of my capacitors, as close to the amp as possible.....

start with the big-3, tho //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

id hook everything up and see if your getting any voltage drops or light dims. id recommend doing the big-3 out of all that you mentioned first. then a replacement deep cycle/starter battery

1. im about to run the bxi1606d myself...i plan to rewire my car with 2 gauge because of this amp (had 4 gauge before). but im sure 4ga will do.

2. like other said, ditch the cap. big-3 is highly recommended. use whatever gauge wire you used for your power wire for this DIY. some amplifer manufactuers recommend a portion of the big-3 (negative battery post to car chassis frame).

3. depends. im not too sure if this is correct, but from what i only heard is having additional batteries only give your alternator more current to pull/produce. thus putting more strain on it.

4. that depends. i dont know too much about HO alts.

go with an anl style fuse holder. figure out what gauge wire you decided to go with then consider what ampre fuse you will run. most cases, 4 gauge = 150A max. the bxi1606d alone is fused at 180A. id definately consider running at least 2 ga and run an 225A fuse.

*EDIT: ah crap, this thread is old. i need sleep //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif*

Run 1/0awg to a FUSED distro in the back. Split off the distro to two 4awgs to the amps.

Fuse the 4awg going to the hifonics at 150A, fuse the other at 80A. Fuse the main power line at 250-300A.

Leave the cap in the box and sell it to some other chump. You shouldn't need another battery nor a HO alt. Do the big three and see where you are after that. Use the largest wire you can afford for that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.