what are good speakers???

hi , im new to this, just made the accout today.. I have a 1995 f250 and im replacing the crap shot pioneer speakers but this is the thing im a mechanic not an audio person I have almost no knowledge of this stuff and im in need of new speakers so what would be some really good door speakers and could someone tell me what all this means?( crossover ,peak power,frequency response,)Id like to get load clean crisp sounding door speakers that thump as well and dont sound muddy when I turn it up , any advise?????

like I said I have no idea whats good and whats not I have a budget $200-$300 ... I removed the old aftermarket one( some duel brand that you buy at Walgreens) lol it was so junked up with like clear coated wiring and you can see the copper wiring like some wire used to for like a home surround sound stereo system.... and has all these wire crimped its just a mess! I have a Jensen fold out touch screen receiver and some how I managed to hook it up but someone said I needed an amp to run it??? what is a "raw driver"???? the ones that are in there now **** they get all muddy and crackly when I turn it up

like I said I have no idea whats good and whats not I have a budget $200-$300 ... I removed the old aftermarket one( some duel brand that you buy at Walgreens) lol it was so junked up with like clear coated wiring and you can see the copper wiring like some wire used to for like a home surround sound stereo system.... and has all these wire crimped its just a mess! I have a Jensen fold out touch screen receiver and some how I managed to hook it up but someone said I needed an amp to run it??? what is a "raw driver"???? the ones that are in there now **** they get all muddy and crackly when I turn it up
You have two bottom of the barrel head units of junk quality, I guarantee you if you took those speakers in your car out and put it on a home receiver, they will sound a whole lot better and louder.

so what would I need to do to make the speakers sound really good, I want different ones ...any good brands and if it says that the speakers need an amp to run it how would that work and how would I hook it up, I know a bass needs an amp to run but door speakers????

so what would I need to do to make the speakers sound really good, I want different ones ...any good brands and if it says that the speakers need an amp to run it how would that work and how would I hook it up, I know a bass needs an amp to run but door speakers????
Yes, an amp for door speakers would be a lot better because headunit power barely makes any power. It will make your speakers sound much louder and clearer for so many reasons. You can just install the amp just like you would with a bass amp. Make sure you use good OFC wires and make sure it's grounded properly. $200-300 budget is not much to work with if you're looking for that "clean crisp sound". Try looking at the classified for used equipment.

If you buy a component set, it will come with a crossover that's already pre tuned for you by the manufacture. After you set up the amp, you connect it to the separate crossovers that came with the set and wire each speaker individually. You have to figure out where to hide it also, sometimes you can just mount it inside the door itself.

To answer your question:

Crossover acts like a filter, cuts off a certain frequency range from a certain place and beyond.

peak power you don't wanna look at, it does you no good. always look at rms power.

Frequency response is the overall curve you get after everything is said and done. You want to know if there's any peaks that you wanna cut down or boost if you feel it's lacking.

ST_Crossovertheory_Grid1.gif

headunits generaly only have the ability to produce between 10 to 15 watts of true rms power to each speaker. thats all theyr capable of. the box may say 40 watts rms but this is just a false gimic of advertizing to sell you.

are there speakers out there that will sound good off of a good headunits power ? yes

will it be crazy loud and sound amazing like woah

no

but it will get the job done and you the installer can make or break the deal by the level of work your willing to put in to installing them in the doors / using sound deadner - as well as sealing up any holes in the door to create a nice sealed off chamber for the back side of the speaker.

i put a set of crazy cheap on blow out sale audio que 6.5" co axal speakers in the doors of a buddys van - same time he tossed his factory radio and installed a pioneer headunit and our plans were to add a small amp to push the new speakers in the doors - but we hooked it up to headunit power just to see

and were impressed with how they sounded and played off of headunit power alone. he is 42 and listens to rock music and was satisfied.

im 34 and listen to bass music / classic rap and weird electro stuff to name a few - so for me the same setup would not be adequit

there is a thread here about how to sound deadn doors like a pro, find that and read it all.

at the level we are starting off with - most any new not blown out speaker set will sound way better than your stock blown out crappy ones in there now.

if your looking for something specific - im a big fan of pioneer... generaly they produce a quality product for the price you pay. want to overpay a bit and get a tiny bit better product ? rockford fosgate. definately over pay on those - but again its generaly a quality product that will last a little while before you need to upgrade again.

ok thanks helps a lot ,sorry for the late reply iv been working on a job and this forum is different from the other ones so im had a hard time finding my thread, what would be good brands to go with(amp and speakers) ????? I have a Jensen touch screen headunit , where would I put the amp? would there be a lot of wires spider webbed all of the floor? and what would I be looking for in an amp?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.