What amps do you recommend around here?

Blindedbysilence

CarAudio.com Newbie
Dec 23, 2020
Tennessee
I’m going to put a 10” subwoofer in my 2014 Camry hybrid xle and have decided to go with a dd 200 series. It doesn’t require but 300rms. I’ve been out of car audio for many years now and was curious as to what brands you guys are using now. I was thinking about Audison, but don’t know if they are still considered good amps.

llebcire

Nov 4, 2016
Iowa
Great question!

As this is a forum, you're going to receive a multitude of opinions and some replies that will counter someone else's opinion :)

How did you decide on the dd 200 series subs? Have you personally auditioned them or did you research and draw your own conclusion? If it was the latter - I suggest you start doing the same with amplifiers.

If you've been out for a while, for instance when I returned in 2017 I'd been out since the late 2000's, things have changed. Class D amps are very common as they produce a lot of power in a small package and with their efficiency don't require the same electrical upgrades as Class AB amps. If you're only running for subs, a mid range Class D amp will be fine as the sound difference between a mid range Class D and similar Class AB won't be audible in subs.

I would research here and other forums as well as look for amplifier dynos on YouTube. What specifically are you wanting the amplifier to do? Just drive the subs? Does it need a built in crossover and speaker level inputs? Are you eventually replacing the other drivers in the Camry?

And yes - people who own Audison love them (I have Zapco).

-Eric

MattinMO

Senior VIP Member
Dec 31, 2017
St.louis, MO
If you already have the m.80 I personally would run that. Gains set appropriately it would be a great match for the sub

Bobbytwonames

Trigger Man!
Aug 28, 2018
Vegas
If you already have the m.80 I personally would run that. Gains set appropriately it would be a great match for the sub
I have a DD M.80, not the OP. I was trying to tell mastershake that I don't think that DD makes a bass amp as small as the OP needs.

Blindedbysilence

CarAudio.com Newbie
Dec 23, 2020
Tennessee
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I chose this sub based on my reading and searching here on the forum. Just haven’t had much luck looking for posts on low output amps. I haven’t had a chance to go by the dealer yet, I know they carry JL amps and Audison for sure. I wasn’t sure if I’d have them do the install or a local shop who doesn’t sell equipment, but do custom installs. I really don’t need much since I’m not upgrading the rest of the system at the time. I just need some bass since the factory system is REALLY lacking any at all.

Bobbytwonames

Trigger Man!
Aug 28, 2018
Vegas
I chose this sub based on my reading and searching here on the forum. Just haven’t had much luck looking for posts on low output amps. I haven’t had a chance to go by the dealer yet, I know they carry JL amps and Audison for sure. I wasn’t sure if I’d have them do the install or a local shop who doesn’t sell equipment, but do custom installs. I really don’t need much since I’m not upgrading the rest of the system at the time. I just need some bass since the factory system is REALLY lacking any at all.
The Pioneer 8601 is all you need.

Reactions: Blindedbysilence

audiobaun

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
Jun 28, 2011
USA

That Little Kicker amp is a little Beast for the Money. My brother has one pushing a Dayton HO 10 @ 2 ohms and its doing a great job at it. You are not looking for Massive power and a space saver Class D would be Ideal,
The S.Qubed would be a little larger but also giving you some Head room to run cool and last a while for the Money.just a couple suggestions.

Bobbytwonames

Trigger Man!
Aug 28, 2018
Vegas

That Little Kicker amp is a little Beast for the Money. My brother has one pushing a Dayton HO 10 @ 2 ohms and its doing a great job at it. You are not looking for Massive power and a space saver Class D would be Ideal,
The S.Qubed would be a little larger but also giving you some Head room to run cool and last a while for the Money.just a couple suggestions.
I think that he should just get a smallish four channel and power the fronts with two channels and power the sub with the other two channels.

audiobaun

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
Jun 28, 2011
USA
I think that he should just get a smallish four channel and power the fronts with two channels and power the sub with the other two channels.
That would be nice, but he is only looking to add a 10" sub at the moment

mastershake575

CarAudio.com Veteran
Mar 11, 2015
Dallas
I don't know if DD makes a bass amp that small
They do. The DM500a can do 500 at 1ohm or 380 at 2ohm.

That would be nice, but he is only looking to add a 10" sub at the moment
Not only that even if he did redo the front stage most are going to recommend he run the set active which would require at least 4 channels

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds