Weld wire 1/0 vs. reg power wire 1/0

june 15~
ill be there this weekend through monday to find a place to stay

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 PM ----------

check your voltage at the front by the batts and alternator and then back at the amp. thats how much you'll gain minus maybe .1dcv if your wiring is proper
Man your on top of things tonight!!

Wish calling places were like this instead of being on hold, a waiting time and talking to some non US Citizen person that speaks English whom I can barely understand in India.

Man your on top of things tonight!!
Wish calling places were like this instead of being on hold, a waiting time and talking to some non US Citizen person that speaks English whom I can barely understand in India.
i like to help when i have time, unfortunately ive been dealing with a lot of non sense in this *** backwards city called sarasota so its been different lol

In my opinion, as a low voltage technician, I prefer the bigger strands than smaller strands (16 ga solid wire > 16 ga stranded). Better continuity due to less breakage of the smaller wires. Copper = copper.

Alright so after I dug deep, found a piece leftover from my 1/0 amp wiring. Below are some comparable pics...

Sorry for the blurry pic. I'm no photographer but I think this is a good comparison.....yup more finer strands on the Knu and the RE has thicker strands. Also Knu has a thicker jacket compared to the RE. So...anyone else interested in this, feel free to look //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
circular mills what the wire is categorized by. its the surface area of the conductor.

more strands lower conductivity vs solid but its more flexible so yes naturally the car audio wire is bigger but it doesn't have greater ampacity.

the thickness of the jacket is not NEARLY as important as the compound its made of.

Also using aluminum lugs lower the ampacity so if you spend the money to get copper wire spend hte extra to get copper wire terminations..

aluminum has a 75% of the conductivity as copper but its way cheaper and lighter so it still used but not often. its expansion under load is also alot higher so its requires terminals designed for it. this is how a-lot of house fires started back in the 50 and 60s

nothing goes over looked in electrical NOTHING.

i like to help when i have time, unfortunately ive been dealing with a lot of non sense in this *** backwards city called sarasota so its been different lol
Gotcha. Trying to convince the old lady to move there, FL, and your moving in TX.

In my opinion, as a low voltage technician, I prefer the bigger strands than smaller strands (16 ga solid wire > 16 ga stranded). Better continuity due to less breakage of the smaller wires. Copper = copper.
yep but I'll quite a job if you try to make me work with anything bigger than 12ga solid.. lol

Alright so after I dug deep, found a piece leftover from my 1/0 amp wiring. Below are some comparable pics...

Sorry for the blurry pic. I'm no photographer but I think this is a good comparison.....yup more finer strands on the Knu and the RE has thicker strands. Also Knu has a thicker jacket compared to the RE. So...anyone else interested in this, feel free to look //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
Actually, that doesn't look like they're a different size. My sky high 1/0 is the same size as my 2/0 welding cable //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

FYI, The skin effect only occurs with alternating current (AC).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_effect
Thanks, that was the phrase I was looking for. I was unaware that it only applied to AC. Thank you for correcting me!

Actually, that doesn't look like they're a different size. My sky high 1/0 is the same size as my 2/0 welding cable //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Thanks, that was the phrase I was looking for. I was unaware that it only applied to AC. Thank you for correcting me!
Pics? Yeah something isn't right. Should be different sizes.

[quote name='Boomin_tahoe']Hey @adulbrich, any idea how much voltage I will gain after I do the rest of the big 3 or will it vary? I'll more than likely check it once I get done. Shoulda checked it 1st before I replaced the wiring then I could have found out myself.[/QUOTE]

No clue. A couple tenths?

[quote name='Boomin_tahoe']Pics? Yeah something isn't right. Should be different sizes.[/QUOTE]

I can tomorrow

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.