Water damaged passive crossover

Participant count
  • Participant list

danl3ster

CarAudio.com Newbie
I installed my own stereo into my vauxhall astra with the front door speakers using two way alpine speakers that came with their own crossovers that i waterproofed and installed in the door, about a year later one side has stopped working so i had a look and the crossover was soaked and my waterproofing was shockingly bad. I have attached a photo of this crossover, my questions are:

Is this recoverable or are there components of a crossover that can be permanently broken by water damage, if yes can i test the compnents with a multimeter in some way to determine which ones need replacing?

If all is lost, can i just buy any passive 2 way crossover or will i need to replace the other crossover to get it to sound balanced?

Thanks, Dan

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    571.8 KB · Views: 138
I installed my own stereo into my vauxhall astra with the front door speakers using two way alpine speakers that came with their own crossovers that i waterproofed and installed in the door, about a year later one side has stopped working so i had a look and the crossover was soaked and my waterproofing was shockingly bad. I have attached a photo of this crossover, my questions are:

Is this recoverable or are there components of a crossover that can be permanently broken by water damage, if yes can i test the compnents with a multimeter in some way to determine which ones need replacing?

If all is lost, can i just buy any passive 2 way crossover or will i need to replace the other crossover to get it to sound balanced?

Thanks, Dan

Yeah you could replace everything really if they fail the multimeter test.

Good reason to go to active crossovers though ;)

Crossovers are quite simple. Inductors and capacitors determine their resonant frequency, bandwidth, et cetera.

You should be able to replace the damaged components, provided the pcb is not damaged and you are comfortable with soldering.

@Popwarhomie do you know what makes one crossover significantly more expensive than another? I assume it's just marketing.

They have them at Parts express but price ranges from $30-100 which seems like a big price gap
Also they are meant for home audio so no casing
https://www.parts-express.com/speak...embled-passive-crossovers/crossovertype/2~Way
The last set I installed I used construction adhesive and glued them to the inside of the door panel under the handle and they stayed fairly dry but you have to extend the wires and make sure none of them are going to interfere with the window when you put it back in.
Every car is different though so what works in one may not work in another

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.