Wanting to upgrade '15 Ram BASS w/ Skar subs?

Okay....so let me ramble for a minute here. I did a not so scientific comparison.

Same box, same amp settings, same songs, same location of the db meter. Tried to keep everything as consistent as possible. End result first for those who care, more details following.

Skar ZVX8's - peaked at 101db
F8L's - peaked at 97db

Those numbers aren't the whole story. But basically, the Skar in too small of a box, is slightly louder than the SSA F8L in a box that in theory should be the right size for it. With all other factors relatively equal.

Now my opinion on it all - I could tell immediately that the F8Ls were not as loud as the Skars. Maybe that works out based on frequency or whatever, but they are a bit louder. The F8L seems to be ever so slightly deeper. It is a bit more pleasing to the ear. I set my gains at 75% volume which is 25 on my radio and only ever turn it up a couple above that so that I don't end up clipping too much. When I push the Skars even just one or two notches past 75%, I can instantly hear it. They sound bad. The F8Ls however, keep getting better up to as much as 30, though I haven't pushed them past that. They really rumble.

I had about 100 hours or so on the F8L of regular listening. I would say probably a collective 1-2 hours at 75% volume, so I haven't really pushed them hard. But the last week or so I've been having issues. Zero sub action until I crank the volume on the stereo up to about 60-75%. Then they kick on and run like normal. I assumed the Taramps amp was giving me trouble, so I checked connections and such, but nothing seems loose. I decided to swap the Skars back in and see what happens - and so far, no issues with the low volume cutoff. They are working like normal. I can't make sense of that. Hopefully Denim or someone else might chime in. I'm hoping I didn't screw them up. I don't think I overpowered them, but I'm not sure how true the RMS rating is on the amp I have, so hard for me to say. For now, gonna run the Skars and see if the problem comes back.
The F8L's are meant for great all around daily driving music, not for SPL numbers. As for the low volume issues, if something is broken at low volume, it will be broken at high volume. So I am thinking there might be an issue with connections or wiring etc.

Best case outcome, you can sell the other subs and keep the F8L's, then you are not out much money overall and have a great sounding end result.

Last edited:
Well good and bad news. The Skars started doing the same thing today. So that means the problem is either amp or wiring. I've checked all the wiring twice, so I'm guessing the amp is failing or my radio adapter. Not sure how to pinpoint which though.

I do definitely prefer the sound from the F8Ls. So I'll be putting them back in and figuring out my problem.

I probably should sell the Skars to try and recuperate some. I've got 5 of them if anyone is shopping!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.