Want to upgrade from SA-8v2's. Want more SQ. Need suggestions

I don't think I have the space for a 15" but 2 12's should work
2 12s will be louder than a 15. But they are both about the same size for box space. about 4cubes after port and sub displacement.

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

Just do us all a favor and NOT record while driving next time, please? Accident waiting to happen right there
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Good thing I live on the outside of town away from people

So I guess 2 12" SQ subs on the same power as the 8's should definetly sound better and get just as loud if not louder if I wanted them to 

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

Next time go with him then you can do the recording haha
How much time have you REALLY spent with tuning, though? I'm just worried that you're going to fall in a group of people who think you HAVE to replace your drivers to chase a sound that you'll never really find without the right kind of tuning. The snap and quick-firing of a double bass line is something those SA-8s should be more than capable of pulling off, but you need to clean up your EQ around the upper end of its usable range and even some into the midrange where your front speakers are playing part of that tone. Those Monsoons in your doors probably aren't helping AT ALL with how that double bass plays. Try messing around with your SSF and where you LP the subs and you'll probably find some significant improvement.

So I guess 2 12" SQ subs on the same power as the 8's should definetly sound better and get just as loud if not louder if I wanted them to 

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

Next time go with him then you can do the recording haha
I should have had my brother do the the recording since the camera is a DSLR and needs the lens to be focused manually.

But my brother hates how loud the music is.

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

How much time have you REALLY spent with tuning, though? I'm just worried that you're going to fall in a group of people who think you HAVE to replace your drivers to chase a sound that you'll never really find without the right kind of tuning. The snap and quick-firing of a double bass line is something those SA-8s should be more than capable of pulling off, but you need to clean up your EQ around the upper end of its usable range and even some into the midrange where your front speakers are playing part of that tone.
exactly what I was thinking

2 12s will be louder than a 15. But they are both about the same size for box space. about 4cubes after port and sub displacement. 

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Good thing I live on the outside of town away from people
I don't have the height clearance for a 15" unless it was up-firing in the trunk. But then that could possibly put too much pressure on my rear 6x9's and damage them couldn't it? The 6x9s are IB in the rear deck/trunk

I don't have the height clearance for a 15" unless it was up-firing in the trunk. But then that could possibly put too much pressure on my rear 6x9's and damage them couldn't it? The 6x9s are IB in the rear deck/trunk
If you're going to run a strong sub stage, you're better off not having 6x9s in the first place. Just leave those spaces open so the sub can vent out into the cabin. Consider them like mini-ports.

That and in trunk cars. Subs back and port side firing is the loudest. So go with 12s if you wish to upgrade. Otherwise. Your 8s can me made to sound how you want. Just takes tuning. Listen to neo_styles.

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

If you're going to run a strong sub stage, you're better off not having 6x9s in the first place. Just leave those spaces open so the sub can vent out into the cabin. Consider them like mini-ports.
Exactly.

How much time have you REALLY spent with tuning, though? I'm just worried that you're going to fall in a group of people who think you HAVE to replace your drivers to chase a sound that you'll never really find without the right kind of tuning. The snap and quick-firing of a double bass line is something those SA-8s should be more than capable of pulling off, but you need to clean up your EQ around the upper end of its usable range and even some into the midrange where your front speakers are playing part of that tone. Those Monsoons in your doors probably aren't helping AT ALL with how that double bass plays. Try messing around with your SSF and where you LP the subs and you'll probably find some significant improvement.
All the rest of the speakers are stock and not running off the amp. They are the stock monsoon amplified system. But I don't think fixing the front stage will make the sub all of a sudden not sound muddy on double kicks. Back when I had my ES300 I had cheaper aftermarket speakers running off a cheap JVC HU and the bass sounded perfect because the sub was able to respond to those fast hits properly. The 8's when playing 16th notes have like a resonance underneath the notes making it all sound like one note almost. No distinction or silence between the hits.

That and in trunk cars. Subs back and port side firing is the loudest. So go with 12s if you wish to upgrade. Otherwise. Your 8s can me made to sound how you want. Just takes tuning. Listen to neo_styles.
Not sure I agree with side port being the loudest. You need to account for the quarter-loading that'll be occurring off the side wall. If not, you can end up having some nasty cancellation that will cause you to be LESS loud. Subs & Port on the same side is normally ideal in a trunk car unless you're competing and need that extra SPL for the TL. I've found the most musical and musically brutal setups are subs/port forward facing with a sealed off trunk, but unless you don't want to ever use your rear seats, it's counterintuitive.

I usually run with one or both rear seats down to get more bass up front. I like the rear fill from the 6x9's. I've faded it completely to the front before and didn't really like the way it sounded. Probably because I've been too used to having rear speakers in every stereo I've ever had.

[quote name='gamehawk55']All the rest of the speakers are stock and not running off the amp. They are the stock monsoon amplified system. But I don't think fixing the front stage will make the sub all of a sudden not sound muddy on double kicks. Back when I had my ES300 I had cheaper aftermarket speakers running off a cheap JVC HU and the bass sounded perfect because the sub was able to respond to those fast hits properly. The 8's when playing 16th notes have like a resonance underneath the notes making it all sound like one note almost. No distinction or silence between the hits.[/QUOTE]

I'm almost willing to bet that resonance you're hearing is actually coming from your speakers, not your subs. @keep_hope_alive ; can hopefully go into the sound theory behind it, but a kick bass note actually extends from somewhere around the early 30s all the way into your midrange. The reason you probably got better response in the ES300 is partially due to how the stock speakers work in that car. Once you changed the HU in your Pontiac, all the DSP those stock speakers required to handle transitions like that is now gone. So I keep my opinion in that your stock speakers are most likely part of the problem more than your subs.

I usually run with one or both rear seats down to get more bass up front. I like the rear fill from the 6x9's. I've faded it completely to the front before and didn't really like the way it sounded. Probably because I've been too used to having rear speakers in every stereo I've ever had.
Really? I've been running without rear fill since I became a member here and don't miss it for a single second. But, then again, I like a sound stage that's focused forward. Anything else distracts me while I'm driving now lol.

Hey guys,
So I've got (2)SA-8v2 D2's that I got about a month ago and while they are great subs, I don't think I'm going to be able to get the SQ out of them that I want. I drive my car and listen to my system for many hours a day due to the nature of my job so I need something that is going to sound great and get loud on all the different kinds of music I listen to (rap,dubstep.techno,rock,metal,bass tracks,etc.)

@splwj47 here on CA told me I should look at getting some Dayton Audio Reference HO 12's to replace the 8v2's.

He also recommended Incriminator Lethal Injection series 12's too but I think they might be a little more than I want to pay. Plus I think they would require a little bit too big of a box (4cft net) for 2 12's than I might be able to fit in my little G6 GT Sedan trunk haha.

I really need some subs that are going to be able to keep up with crazy 16th and 32nd note double bass in metal and other fast transient changes in freq. But I'm not sure if I want to go PURE SQ cuz I do like to get loud and shake some sh** around too.

What do you guys think? Incriminator would be nice but can they keep up with fast beats like the Dayton can?

Or any other recommendations? I'm thinking 2 12's ranging from $150-200ea. Lower in that range would be better because they also have to be shipped to Canada.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I vote Dayton HOs

[quote name='neo_styles']I'm almost willing to bet that resonance you're hearing is actually coming from your speakers, not your subs. @keep_hope_alive ; can hopefully go into the sound theory behind it, but a kick bass note actually extends from somewhere around the early 30s all the way into your midrange. The reason you probably got better response in the ES300 is partially due to how the stock speakers work in that car. Once you changed the HU in your Pontiac, all the DSP those stock speakers required to handle transitions like that is now gone. So I keep my opinion in that your stock speakers are most likely part of the problem more than your subs.[/QUOTE]

I can smash your theory about it being the other speakers where I'm hearing the resonance right now haha. I tested these subs taking EVERYTHING else out of the equation and ran my phone directly to the sub channel on the amp with RCA's and tuned it for the phone and it sounded EXACTLY the same. Still crappy response with quick hits.

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

Dubstep and other bass heavy music sounds great with these subs. But music where I really need definition like rock/metal it really starts lacking.

Really? I've been running without rear fill since I became a member here and don't miss it for a single second. But, then again, I like a sound stage that's focused forward. Anything else distracts me while I'm driving now lol.
Yeah I dunno I just really like an "all around" sound better.

Probably why I have a 7.1 surround system for my HT setup too haha. Well 7.0 actually. Apartment so I unhooked sub haha.

I can smash your theory about it being the other speakers where I'm hearing the resonance right now haha. I tested these subs taking EVERYTHING else out of the equation and ran my phone directly to the sub channel on the amp with RCA's and tuned it for the phone and it sounded EXACTLY the same. Still crappy response with quick hits. 

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

Dubstep and other bass heavy music sounds great with these subs. But music where I really need definition like rock/metal it really starts lacking.
You've actually done nothing with my theory because you're not factoring in the phase relationship your subs share with your speakers. You have essentially ZERO EQ on your phone and haven't accounted for the adjustments I recommended you make. You can sit here and try and argue with me or take my advice (which ends up SAVING you money, mind you). Honestly, I could give a shit less since it's not my system. I'm just trying to help you out.

Do whatever you want, man, it's your fucking money.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.