Want to upgrade from SA-8v2's. Want more SQ. Need suggestions

gamehawk55
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Hey guys,

So I've got (2)SA-8v2 D2's that I got about a month ago and while they are great subs, I don't think I'm going to be able to get the SQ out of them that I want. I drive my car and listen to my system for many hours a day due to the nature of my job so I need something that is going to sound great and get loud on all the different kinds of music I listen to (rap,dubstep.techno,rock,metal,bass tracks,etc.)

@splwj47 here on CA told me I should look at getting some Dayton Audio Reference HO 12's to replace the 8v2's.

He also recommended Incriminator Lethal Injection series 12's too but I think they might be a little more than I want to pay. Plus I think they would require a little bit too big of a box (4cft net) for 2 12's than I might be able to fit in my little G6 GT Sedan trunk haha.

I really need some subs that are going to be able to keep up with crazy 16th and 32nd note double bass in metal and other fast transient changes in freq. But I'm not sure if I want to go PURE SQ cuz I do like to get loud and shake some sh** around too.

What do you guys think? Incriminator would be nice but can they keep up with fast beats like the Dayton can?

Or any other recommendations? I'm thinking 2 12's ranging from $150-200ea. Lower in that range would be better because they also have to be shipped to Canada.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ssa gcon's, step up to a set of 10's or 12's in sundown. Those daytons would do ok, the real trick to a good sound is box, and how much real estate you can relinquish to your pursuit.

ssa gcon's, step up to a set of 10's or 12's in sundown. Those daytons would do ok, the real trick to a good sound is box, and how much real estate you can relinquish to your pursuit.
While the sundowns are nice they aren't really built to be SQ subs with super fast transient response. Even Jason @mobileenclosures said it would be tough to get a good fast response out of the sa-8s because they are more of an SPL sub.

Then check on the gcons, or look thru the classifieds on here, you might find what you need for a decent price. I just got a set of re se 10d4's for 170 shipped. Not s e x but the se's.

Idmax has been my favorite for years. Gone baxk to them multiple times.

New dayton ultimax seems like it might do the trick though I think based off the thread on diyma it would be best to stick to 10s. In that model. HO get lots of love too

Idmax has been my favorite for years. Gone baxk to them multiple times.New dayton ultimax seems like it might do the trick though I think based off the thread on diyma it would be best to stick to 10s. In that model. HO get lots of love too
IDMAX is way out of my budget and so are the IDQ's (both are more than $200 before shipping). The ultimax looks nice but is it really meant for car audio applications? I thought just the HO and Titanic MK III's were their "car audio" applicable woofers?

Also where is a good place to shop for GCON's? Direct from SSA the price is $239ea (more than I wanna pay lol). I paid $450 shipped for my 2 SA-8s and I'm probably going to be losing some money selling them so I need something that's not going to cost a lot more than a paid for those.

Honestly I'm not sure abiut the ultimax as far as dedicated car application. Not many people have chanced it yet in car apps. Ive been debating on it for a couple months but would have to sell my idmax.

If u look around a used idmax is about 225. Shipping would be the potential deal breaker

HO might be your best bet

2 cents...1 sa8v2 hooked up nicely in a nice ported box tuned correctly to specs sounds pretty tight with the proper front staging. I could only imagine what your 2 would for ya.

Honestly I'm not sure abiut the ultimax as far as dedicated car application. Not many people have chanced it yet in car apps. Ive been debating on it for a couple months but would have to sell my idmax. If u look around a used idmax is about 225. Shipping would be the potential deal breaker

HO might be your best bet
Yeah the HO's are only $149ea on parts-express so that's a big plus for me if these subs perform as well as people say they do in car applications. I haven't seen many videos kicking around of people using them in cars.

2 cents...1 sa8v2 hooked up nicely in a nice ported box tuned correctly to specs sounds pretty tight with the proper front staging. I could only imagine what your 2 would for ya.
Have you tried listening to metal with 16th or 32nd note kick drums in it? They just don't sound nice with that and get very muddy because the driver can't respond fast enough so always end up with resonance underneath the kicks.

A few years ago I had a Hertz E300 12" in a shi**y prefab box and it hit the 16th's and 32nd's perfectly with distinction and hit them hard too. Even at loud volumes it didn't fail to hit those notes with distinct separation. I miss that quality sound //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Have you tried listening to metal with 16th or 32nd note kick drums in it? They just don't sound nice with that and get very muddy because the driver can't respond fast enough so always end up with resonance underneath the kicks.
A few years ago I had a Hertz E300 12" in a shi**y prefab box and it hit the 16th's and 32nd's perfectly with distinction and hit them hard too. Even at loud volumes it didn't fail to hit those notes with distinct separation. I miss that quality sound //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
Could be the box...But then again. I am no expert on box specifications.

I listen to metal and my box doesn't keep up that well. That is why I am switching to a small enclosure tuned a little higher.

Could be the box...But then again. I am no expert on box specifications.
I listen to metal and my box doesn't keep up that well. That is why I am switching to a small enclosure tuned a little higher.
I don't think my box is that big. Probably 1.25-1.50cft net tuned to about 35hz. I could try having a better box built. I've been in talks with Jason @mobileenclosures and he says he's not even sure if he could get a super tight response out of these 8v2's.

But I also want to be able to FEEL more of the bass too which is another reason I kind of want to switch to 12's

Box for my 8's is in my profile pic

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.