Want to try something new with my 15" L7

chambiec1
10+ year member

I'm not loud at all?!?
My current box is 4.5^3 FT tuned to 34Hz. Sub back, port back. I have 1500wrms to work with coming from a Massive Audio P1500.1. I want to try to get this louder without changing my equipment. Any suggestions? This is a trunk car, with the "ski hole" btw.

I want to tune it lower. I was thinking somewhere around 32Hz. I was also thinking about doing it sub up, port back or to the side. Just looking for insight on what you guys would think would be louder. Aero's maybe?

I have tried thinking of a way to port it through the "ski hole", but with a single sub, I just can find a proper way to do it.

So what do you guys think? I'm pretty set on tuning around 32Hz, but as far as size and such I'm not sure what to go for. I have 36W x 20D x 18H to work with, although the height would be shorter if I were to do a sub up setup.

Here's the current box. I believe with it being so high it may be blocking out some of the output I could get from this.

img_0388.jpg

Let me know what you guys can come up with. I appreciate it.

-Casey

Is there a possibility of making something like this work in a sub up setup? I am worried about loading issues with the port in the center... I don't know what sub placement would give me the least loading issues, or if it would even sound right?

nothing1.jpg

tune it higher... is a very broad general tip. 32hz is directed towards tuning for a SQ type box. Tune around 40hz if you dont mind a bigger response curve.

tune it higher... is a very broad general tip. 32hz is directed towards tuning for a SQ type box. Tune around 40hz if you dont mind a bigger response curve.
I guess I forgot to put this in my origional post... one of the reasons I don't like my current box is because it's lacking on the lows more than I would like. 40Hz is to high tuning for the music I listen to... I like listening to rap that pounds the lows. This is also daily setup...

It seems as though my current box is peaky in the 35-37HZ range, but is lacking the low end punch I'm looking for.

Have you tried firing the enclosure forward?
I have not... amp is mounted on the back of the box and didn't want to mess with remounting it... plus is just finally started to get nice around here. I was planning on trying that out this weekend.

I would do sub up port forward or side and slide the box all the way to the back of your trunk.
I was also thinking sub up port back, then i could try the box several different ways.

Try firing to the side, and use aero ports??
Or even just spin that box to the side, and check it out..
I will try spinning the box this weekend also... if all else fails I'll try aeros with my next box.

I know for sure this summer I'm either going to try out a new sub, or work with a new enclosure for this on, and play with tuning/placement.

I would say change the tuning and try different port orientations... I wasn't too happy with my box in my civic (sub back, port driver side, 32 Hz) until I tuned lower and moved the box so that the ports were closer to the side wall. Now it is tuned to 28 Hz and the ports fire right into the wall and it is much louder over a broader range of frequencies instead of being peaky, which large enclosures tend to do. it also SLAMS on the lows (which I love)

btw what kind of car?

I would say change the tuning and try different port orientations... I wasn't too happy with my box in my civic (sub back, port driver side, 32 Hz) until I tuned lower and moved the box so that the ports were closer to the side wall. Now it is tuned to 28 Hz and the ports fire right into the wall and it is much louder over a broader range of frequencies instead of being peaky, which large enclosures tend to do. it also SLAMS on the lows (which I love)
btw what kind of car?
It's a '92 Pontiac Bonneville.

How would a CRX style box work with a single sub?

If I am correct the CRX style is sub up and port across the bottom?

If I were to do something like that, only instead of having the port go all the way across the bottom, I'd do it in the center, and have the sub directly over top of it... would that cause any loading issues/sound like ****?

I could then do sub up/port firing towards my ski-hole and see how that would sound.

Hopefully that is understandable...

EDIT: here's a shitty paint pic of what I mean. The black area would be the port, with the black "line" on top being the sub.

crx-style.jpg

Another question... if this box style will work, would it be better to have the port stop before the back wall, or use part of the wall to contunue the port in an "L" shape?

Like so: ("looking" sideways at the box.)

crx-style-2.jpg

How would a CRX style box work with a single sub?If I am correct the CRX style is sub up and port across the bottom?

If I were to do something like that, only instead of having the port go all the way across the bottom, I'd do it in the center, and have the sub directly over top of it... would that cause any loading issues/sound like ****?

I could then do sub up/port firing towards my ski-hole and see how that would sound.

Hopefully that is understandable...

EDIT: here's a shitty paint pic of what I mean. The black area would be the port, with the black "line" on top being the sub.

crx-style.jpg

Another question... if this box style will work, would it be better to have the port stop before the back wall, or use part of the wall to contunue the port in an "L" shape?

Like so: ("looking" sideways at the box.)

crx-style-2.jpg
Thought I would give a quick bump for some help with the above. ^^^

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.