New Headunit Recommendations- need something that can handle a lot of vibrations

SbassLaser

CarAudio.com Recruit
My current head unit is a sony dsxb700 and i'm really happy with it except for the fact that it's starting to make some static that comes through the subs pretty bad. If i push down on the 3.5mm jack the static stops. If I have my aux cord plugged in I can wiggle it back and forth and the static will start and stop as I wiggle it, so I'm assuming the problem is with the jack. I'm also assuming this is due to heavy vibrations because I didnt have this problem until I upgraded my subs and now my whole dash shakes pretty good with any bass from ~35 hz and down. Problem is thats the type of bass that I love to play lol. For reference I'm doin around the high 140s from 30-45hz, not crazy loud but it does shake everything up pretty good. Does anyone have a recommendation for something that they know can take a beating? I would like to stay around the 200$ price point. I dont want or need anything fancy, I'd prefer no touch screen, don't need a backup camera either. I only use the front and sub output for RCAs. I prefer double din but wouldnt be opposed to a single din. I prefer to use an aux cord over bluetooth but I would like to have the option for either so i can charge my phone while playing music.
Alternatively, does anyone know how hard it would be to repair this headunit? I'm good with soldering and I work in electronics so I'm pretty confident working with electrical circuits and components, just never attempted a headunit repair before.
TIA!

My guess is the 3.5mm jack is the problem. It sounds like not only that's what you are saying, but those connections always end up going bad for me, and causing this same problem.

If it's me, that's what I'm getting rid of. What is the 3.5mm connection for? (a bass knob)?

My guess is the 3.5mm jack is the problem. It sounds like not only that's what you are saying, but those connections always end up going bad for me, and causing this same problem.

If it's me, that's what I'm getting rid of. What is the 3.5mm connection for? (a bass knob)?
That's the aux connection for audio input. I've been using Bluetooth to avoid having the wire hanging from the aux jack but I prefer to have a wired connection. I'm pretty sure that's the problem. Having all those vibrations with a wire hanging from the jack has probably shook something loose so I'm curious to hear what other people have used that can hold up to some loud bass.

Have you tried a new aux cord? I had issues with my old jvc aux connection...I swapped to a new cord and it cleared up

Are you using a dual 3.5mm jack cable, headphone output on the phone to a 3.5mm input on the head unit?

I've just never had a problem with RCA or USB (full size) connections, and I almost always do with those.

There are plenty of ways to charge a pho
Here's what I did to mine:
I have an extra accessory circuit I used. It's 12V, and I used a stepdown converter to 5v for the charger. Ran a USB cable, drilled a hole through the bezel. Used a grommet around to not damage the wire, and this ball mount.
Amazon product ASIN B08X7J9D5Z
This has threads for a 1/4-20 bolt, and screwed in from the back with a washer so it's secure. That 17mm ball is what most items use, gps, garmin, phone chargers, etc...

I never use my phone for music, I just put it on a flash drive. Might be worth considering if you're not streaming.
I bought this and took it apart to break the speaker off so, it wouldn't beep at me when the phone is in, and I shut it off.
Amazon product ASIN B082X33W82There are similar mounts that will even connect and charge.

Otherwise, there are plenty of head units with front and rear USB connections. I always suggest kenwood excelons: Easy to use and navigate, this line all has (3) 5v preouts,

You really shouldn't have a problem finding a mount that can charge and connect to your head unit. Mine charges, and all I have to do is set the phone in the cradle, it senses and the sides clamp down to secure.

If your head unit has a USB connection, it sounds like you just need a mount that can charge and connect if otherwise you are happy with the head unit. If not, I would find a phone mount that will connect by USB, and then you should be able to get both.

It's not the vibration causing the jack to fail, it's physics. If you really want to keep using that method of connection, you should have the jack replaced with a quality hardwire that you can plug into your phone (or whatever device).

The plug will then be the weak point, which is why you want a GOOD wire. And have enough cord so that when the wires do eventually fail at the plug, you can cut it and replace it.

Are you using a dual 3.5mm jack cable, headphone output on the phone to a 3.5mm input on the head unit?

I've just never had a problem with RCA or USB (full size) connections, and I almost always do with those.

There are plenty of ways to charge a pho
Here's what I did to mine:
I have an extra accessory circuit I used. It's 12V, and I used a stepdown converter to 5v for the charger. Ran a USB cable, drilled a hole through the bezel. Used a grommet around to not damage the wire, and this ball mount.
Amazon product ASIN B08X7J9D5Z
This has threads for a 1/4-20 bolt, and screwed in from the back with a washer so it's secure. That 17mm ball is what most items use, gps, garmin, phone chargers, etc...

I never use my phone for music, I just put it on a flash drive. Might be worth considering if you're not streaming.
I bought this and took it apart to break the speaker off so, it wouldn't beep at me when the phone is in, and I shut it off.
Amazon product ASIN B082X33W82There are similar mounts that will even connect and charge.

Otherwise, there are plenty of head units with front and rear USB connections. I always suggest kenwood excelons: Easy to use and navigate, this line all has (3) 5v preouts,

You really shouldn't have a problem finding a mount that can charge and connect to your head unit. Mine charges, and all I have to do is set the phone in the cradle, it senses and the sides clamp down to secure.

If your head unit has a USB connection, it sounds like you just need a mount that can charge and connect if otherwise you are happy with the head unit. If not, I would find a phone mount that will connect by USB, and then you should be able to get both.
My phone doesnt have a separate headphone jack. The headphone output is the same port as the charger. I really hate that design but it seems most phones are going that way nowadays. I also dont have wireless charging. Are you saying its possible to both charge and have audio output from the same port at the same time?
Really I can get by just using bluetooth when I charge my phone because it's not often I have to charge it in the car. I think most headunits come with bluetooth but I figured id include it in my list of features that I want.
I may end up putting my rebassed music on a flash drive. I only stream when I'm listening to regular music which isnt often lol.

It's not the vibration causing the jack to fail, it's physics. If you really want to keep using that method of connection, you should have the jack replaced with a quality hardwire that you can plug into your phone (or whatever device).

The plug will then be the weak point, which is why you want a GOOD wire. And have enough cord so that when the wires do eventually fail at the plug, you can cut it and replace it.
Are you saying that I should replace the jack on the headunit with a wire instead? Is that fairly simple? I'd imagine you would just need to make the proper connections and solder it into place but I've never looked at the internals of a headunit before.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...