Want to replace speakers.

KBoltz

Howdy all.

New to the forum, and need some advice. I recently bought my dream car, a 2008 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe. I ordered the car with the base radio and speakers, and it shows. Talk about crappy sound. I do not plan on replacing the head unit for quite some time.

I went on to Crutchfield's website to see what was available, and there is not much.

The front door speakers are 3.5" - the ones that they have available are:

1. Blaupunkt GTx352

2. Kicker KS350

3. JL Audio TR350-CXi

4. Polk Audio db351

For the mid panel (rear fill) they are 5.25"

1. Alpine SPS-13C2

2. Blaupunkt GTx542

3. Kenwood KFC-1361S

4. Pioneer TS-G1342R

5. Kicker 07DS5250

6. Sony GT1325A

7. Kenwood KFC-1382ie

8. Kicker KS5250

Not much will fit in the stock locations, and I have no intentions of cutting up my new baby's interior. I would prefer matched sets, but the only two brands that match are the Blaupunkt and the Kicker.

Does anyone here have any suggestions? I am not really into hard core car audio. I prefer sound quality to something that irritates the crap out of the person next to you.

Anyone use the Quantum Audio Cozmik speakers? I had them installed in my wife's Dodge Ram Quad Cab when the factory speakers and head unit died an untimely death. At least she got them replaced as an early Christmas gift, and she got the HU replaced with a Kenwood Excelon X492. they seem to have pretty decent sound, but before I plunk down a dime to install in my baby, I wanted advice from guys who know what they are talking about, and not just selling stuff to make a paycheck.

Swapping out the stock drivers will make little difference. If you want marginally better sound than ok. Any 3.5"coax is not gonna get you the kind of performance that most are goin for. If you scrap the factory 3.5 and 8"woofer in the doors and replace with a quality 6.5"comp set, you'll loose a lot of your bottom end. You then would have to add a sub in the back. With the corvette it's really all or nothing. Here's what I was considering to do with mine (b4 I sold it). Replace the 8" woofer with a pair of memphis m-sync 8"coax, and a quality 3.5 /4" mid from madisound. You'd need a 4ch. amp so that you could balance the levels and get the sound right. Also I suggest a quality loc like audiocontrol's lc6. Leave the 5.25s on the stock amp for fill if you like. Or go for a sub in back with 6.5 comps in the doors. Just remember, the top has gotta fit in back with whatever sub box you choose. I came down to a slim jl ($550) or a jl stealth box($600). At ant rate it's $200 for little change or $2000 for more change, you decide. Corvetteforum.com has an audio section that may be helpful, It's one of the best sites around.

I have been a member of CF for quite some time. I own a C4 and now the C6 - I'll just have to wait until later then to upgrade the whole shebang. It just seems kinda stupid that for 45k you get such a crappy sounding stereo system (and the supposed upgrade to Bose isn't any better!).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.