want some pointers for next build

Participant count
  • Participant list

anix

CarAudio.com Newbie
norway
hi, right now i have a very desent build, moderate experiance and knowledge.
current setup for reference i guess: 2012 ford focus hatch back, 1x dd audio 715d2, dd audio cc 6,5" set, soundcubed 3000.1, dls ca-p44 (4x 100w @4 ohms), stetsom dsp.
not sure how much db im pushing but to state 143+(maby even 144-145) is not a big stretch. super happy with the setup. good music listening quality with alot of bass.

for my next build however, its gonna be more tricky. cus i dont even have the car yet. but im dead set on the next car. planing on buying a 2006-7 mercedes w211 e280 (sedan/saloon) so there is the first "problem" building in a sedan. i know that it takes work, but im willing to put in the work to make it good.
my goal is to be able to play around 147 db and still have good music listening quality, but be able to play 150db+ IF I WANT, with the best hz range possible. thats also "hard" to accomplish.
next "problem" is i want to have functional back seats (can sacrifise the middle seat if im porting trough the arm rest section, or porting trough the "shelf" behind the back seats, dont know what its called in english sorry)
i dont realy have any other restrictions then this, im planing on going big (adding lots of power, lots of sound isolation, lots of custome **** basicly), the whole trunk is going to be available for enclosure, buut if i can use less space, its a nice pluss.
currently just planing, so like prices etc arent a big consern yet, i know its going to be expensive, but again if its "cheep" its a nice pluss. but im probably looking to spend 4-6k maby more

so you see, i have some work to do, but need some pointers on what subs are recomended for this, what enclosure design is best to use, how much watt do i need, probably gonna buy 2 lithium packs and alternator.

come with suggestions and ideas, im open to most suggestions

Building in a sedan is going to be harder to get loud than your hatchback was. You’ll likely need to seal off the trunk and fire your subs/port into the cabin via the rear deck or where the rear seat backs are. I tried to hit 150 in a trunk with a sundown x 15 firing to the rear and never even made it close. 148.3 was the best we could do without sealing off the trunk and firing it forward, which we never did. I would’ve had to build the box in the actually trunk itself instead of sliding a box in that I built in the shop. I did the flare so it could be removed to change tuning from 30 to 38 HZ which gained a bit on the meter but I realized right away that 150 was going to be too expensive for the guy to hit it without doing a much more complicated and expensive build. We had discussed moving to an 18 inch sub firing forward into the cabin and using the entire trunk but he never pulled the trigger on spending the money. Hitting 150 out of a trunk is a good challenge. If you have a little money and a lot of time it can be a fun ongoing project.

This was the 15 that we were trying to hit 150 with. The flare was removable and raised tuning when taken off to get a bit louder. I think we gained .7 DB with the flare off. He gave up when he realized the money it would take to get to 150 db.
2242D3D1-6C5D-4125-B7FE-AD1F39E20A07.jpeg

Building in a sedan is going to be harder to get loud than your hatchback was. You’ll likely need to seal off the trunk and fire your subs/port into the cabin via the rear deck or where the rear seat backs are. I tried to hit 150 in a trunk with a sundown x 15 firing to the rear and never even made it close. 148.3 was the best we could do without sealing off the trunk and firing it forward, which we never did. I would’ve had to build the box in the actually trunk itself instead of sliding a box in that I built in the shop. I did the flare so it could be removed to change tuning from 30 to 38 HZ which gained a bit on the meter but I realized right away that 150 was going to be too expensive for the guy to hit it without doing a much more complicated and expensive build. We had discussed moving to an 18 inch sub firing forward into the cabin and using the entire trunk but he never pulled the trigger on spending the money. Hitting 150 out of a trunk is a good challenge. If you have a little money and a lot of time it can be a fun ongoing project.
its definetly going to be harder, im prepared for that. i had a friend who managed 150 in a simmular mercedes im looking to buy, 2x 12" on 8kw firing in to the cabin seald, tun of power, took time and money. but i want to make it happen, everyone telling me im thinking too big, that its not going to work, that its going to require a tun of work. but im willing to do the work. i know what i want, now is the question how to make it happen. might not persue if its like SUUUPER expensive, talking 10k+

its definetly going to be harder, im prepared for that. i had a friend who managed 150 in a simmular mercedes im looking to buy, 2x 12" on 8kw firing in to the cabin seald, tun of power, took time and money. but i want to make it happen, everyone telling me im thinking too big, that its not going to work, that its going to require a tun of work. but im willing to do the work. i know what i want, now is the question how to make it happen. might not persue if its like SUUUPER expensive, talking 10k+
You can definitely do it, especially if you do all the work. Firing into the cabin with a sealed trunk is definitely the way to go. Being able to raise port tuning is also a thought if you meter or go to comps alot.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...