Volts drop to 11 and under randomly.

haloplayha

So yesterday cruising town listening to some music my headlights dimmed and I checked my gauge and noticed the voltage dropped to almost 9 volts. I killed the truck and cruised it into a parking lot. I took my amp wire off and it seems to be just fine without it. I bought a new battery and alternator so I can somewhat rule those out. I can idle with my amp hooked up and blaring it without voltage drop but if I was to go down the road, sooner or later it would nose dive near 10-11 volts but a second or two later it would rise back up to 14 volts. I've looked it over but I don't know what's going on and it's driving me crazy! If anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated!

What amp and subwoofer are you running?

Reason I said fuse holder is a long time ago I randomly started getting bad voltage drops into the 9s and my fuse holder had melted and was causing the bad drop.

Might need a separate wire harness that plugs into your alt and connects to your factory harness. The same thing happened to me when I bought my singer alt. I contacted mike and told him what was happening and he said that was a common problem because the high output alt trips up the cars electrical system (or something along those lines) and could make your volts rise and drop quickly and drastically so I needed a separate wire harness/adapter to keep my volts at a constant number and its been all good since, don't drop below 14v. Mike had said its a common occurrence on some vehicles when you put a HO alt on. That might not even be the issue though just thought I'd let you know what happened with me just in case. The harness was only like $20 bucks by the way

Check your ground and check your fuse holder.
This^^

i had this issue before and wasnt sure what was the issue. Checked the fuse block and the fuse block shorted out. Thats when i stopped using fuses all together lol.

I however never openly tell people not to use fuses or that its the right thing to do. I know the possible consequences of my choice

This^^
i had this issue before and wasnt sure what was the issue. Checked the fuse block and the fuse block shorted out. Thats when i stopped using fuses all together lol.

I however never openly tell people not to use fuses or that its the right thing to do. I know the possible consequences of my choice
#thuglife

There are reasons people don't run fuses when competing.

I would like them in my daily vehicle though.

If you get in an accident and your battery bank shorts, you're screwed.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.