Voltage troubles

Participant count
  • Participant list

20 hz bass machine
Premium Member

Danger Ranger
I just finished a build in my 2002 gmc yukon xl. In total I'm pushing close to 3000 watts and for the moment I'm running on the stock 130 amp alternator. I'm already in the process of getting a 370 billet from Mechman as I'm well aware I need more output. For the first few days Ive been listening to the system with the stock alt and It's been holding it's own. Last night I was bumping with friends for an extended period of time (close to an hour) at the end of the hour my lights started to dim randomly (not to the bass) and my voltage plummeted. I shut everything off and my voltage just kept going down. I assumed at the time that my alt took a **** which didn't surprise me. By the time I got home though my voltage was back to normal and everything seemed to be ok. I'm pretty sure I just drained the battery significantly after such a long bump session but I've also never delt with a bad alternator before.
Have any of you had an alternator go bad? Does this sound like alt that's about to go? Obviously I have a high output on the way but before it arrives I'm going snowboarding and I dont want to break down going up the mountain. I'm going with a co worker who is not a fan of the loud bass so I'm not trying to let it rip all the way up.
What are your thoughts? Am I fine and just drained the battery? Is my alternator on the verge of blowing?
I was considering getting a stock alt to use for now/down the road if I have problems with my high output I can use it while waiting for things to get repaired.

Yep prolly a dying alt. Go to autozone and have it tested there. I think it's free. Don't forget to change that belt also and make sure that your engine ground wires are not corroded.

Yep prolly a dying alt. Go to autozone and have it tested there. I think it's free. Don't forget to change that belt also and make sure that your engine ground wires are not corroded.
Just did the big 3 and the battery is new. Connections are nice and clean. I'll go get it tested and see how it performs. Thanks for the response

Let us know if it’s working right
I went to my local orileys and got it tested. On the way there I could tell the thing was shot. Voltage all over, battery light coming on. Sure enough it came back as a dud. Got a new stock alt in for now. Guess it will come in handy when the mechman needs service down the road

I went to my local orileys and got it tested. On the way there I could tell the thing was shot. Voltage all over, battery light coming on. Sure enough it came back as a dud. Got a new stock alt in for now. Guess it will come in handy when the mechman needs service down the road
It’s always good to have a just in case spare especially since it’s an easy to change part

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.