Voltage dropped and won't go back up

Participant count
  • Participant list

DylanBeatz
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Wisconsin
So I'm pretty sure my 08 Tiburon idled at around 14 volts with nothing playing or definitely high 13's, then I added an xs power d3100 and turned up my rf T1000bdcp to full tilt and after a few days of that, it seems my voltage is stuck down low now.

At idle with no music playing it's at 12.5 volts and when I bump at idle it starts dropping to 12.2 and I feel it would go lower if I kept playing it

My alt is only 90 amps and I haven't done the big three yet. I'm scared to drive my car and bump now. Is my alternator breaking? Why won't it go back up without music going?

If you are 12.5 at idle something is wrong with your charging system. You sure everything is connected correctly and secure to the D3100?

The ground from the battery is 1/0 going straight to the stock battery up front, I don't have a ground, I'm pretty sure everything is hooked up right, it's pretty simple, but now you got me wondering

Also should mention I'm reading the voltage from my smd vm-1 that is connected to my amp. I'm going to go double check my connections and check the voltage of both batteries with a dmm

Probably, it's not like it's too late now though is it?

Oh absolutely not. But now look at what you gotta deal with now.

Here's what I would do. Do the suggested above, go over your work/wiring. Sometimes things just get overlooked. Then do the big 3 when you can. asap would be best and then your voltage may go up.

Awesome thanks man, I was just out in my parking lot and started my car after it was sitting off for a while, the voltage started at 13.1volts, but then as i let my car idle with no bass going and quiet music and ac, it slowly started dropping. Even had a dmm to the battery up front, went from 13.1 down to 12.7 in about 5 minutes and that's like I said with no bass. I didn't get a chance to look all the wires over though because I'm afraid to open my trunk in my parking lot and I'm too lazy right now to drive somewhere but tomorrow I will when I wake up

Just a thought---my alt in my s10 started failing when the instrument cluster lights were fading on/off. That's a clue the alt was on it's way out. If your lights are doing any of that, replace that alt asap.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.