voice coils

Participant count
  • Participant list

99concorde
10+ year member

laughing at you
naptown
how does one know for sure there voice coils are blown. like for instance if say smoke came rolling out of the box when the subs were removed. does that mean the coils are deffinately blown. i cant get my volt meter to read anything on the coils.

smoke came rolling out of the box when the subs were removed.
i cant get my volt meter to read anything on the coils.
Those are two of the best indicators. Smoke is the biggest. Nothing showing up on your volt meter is the second. Smoke is very very very bad.

...so yes, they're blown. Big-time.

danm it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/bawling.gif.6287aa5d1d447c8af063fc9466e822ef.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/bawling.gif.6287aa5d1d447c8af063fc9466e822ef.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/bawling.gif.6287aa5d1d447c8af063fc9466e822ef.gif . anyway to fix easily. i wonder what caused them to blow. i dont think my gains were up too high. i wasnt overpowering them. no bass boost. maybe weird frequency. did have lowpass set at like 70 or so hertz.

yes smoke almost gaurantee's a blown vc...sometimes they can come really close and not blow...just get really black...but usually smoke = blown sub

btw...what subs were they?(this will display the severity of your anger to all other forums members :p )

well they were only twelve inch type s's. not real expensive but when your low on funds and the subs sound halfway decent it still *****. i think maybe only one is blown because smoke only came out of one side of the box. what will the coils look like if there blown.

your best indicator is your Multimeter, if you try to read the ohms on your sub and they come up to be oh around a very large number above 10 or 8 or 6 then yes they are damaged or maybe even blown. The smoke is and indicator that you did do some damage, i did the same to my pioneer premier sub twice and it still playes even now i have it playing in my room for home theater purposes. heh even the inside of the box turned black because of the heat and smoke. Oh and if you want to fix it... ummm... unless you have a whole bunch of speaker building tools and materials your out of luck. If they are under warranty i would take them back to where u bought them... they might replace them. My store replaced mine 7 times, only becuase they knew i would be back for more stuff. And i was really abusive to my subs putting 600w to a 400w rms sub. My room setup.

well on the multimeter they dont really read anything. maybe ill try to again today. wonder how much it would cost to have them fixed. i got a decent deal on the subs. i only paid one hundred for both subs and a nice large sealed box.

Like I said earlier, if your multimeter reads nothing the coil is toast. AKA: totally blown. If it is damaged, but not blown, it will still read something on a multimeter.

And it will probably cost you more than the subs are worth to get them re-coned (in other words, get a new moving assembly)

As Nick said, they're toast. I also would agree that in most cases, it's usually not even worth getting them reconed. I'd recommend just buying new subwoofers, and being more careful in the future.

that blows. well if anyone want some blown type s's there available. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.