very dissapointed in new alpine type r shallow mounts... is something wrong?

hi guys im zach, ive been a professional installer for 7 years now. my sisters friend approached me today after hearing the small system i installed for her, (mtx 6000 12" in a sealed box with a pioneer 700 watt amp) in her scion xb. he wanted to know why his didnt sound like hers, so i took a look at it and im stumped. he has a nice alpine double din, alpine mids and highs on an alpine amp (not sure the size but its irrelevant) and an alpine 1200 monoblock amp pushing two alpine type R 12" shallow mount subs, a red top optima and a 2 farad power acoustik cap. the subs are in an under seat downfiring box in the back of a gmc sierra. they are single 4 ohm. he has 4ga wiring, 150 amp wafer fuse, and its all installed professionally and properly by a local shop (that has a negative reputation)and his amp is all the way up. all this being said, i have done everything i know to diagnose the problem and i come up empty handed, his subwoofers put out the bass of about 1 cheap *** 10" subwoofer. and his lights are dimming with the bass. suggestions needed PLEASE HELP!

Many variables.

Either box is garbage, clipping the subs/amp, poor electrical...

Most of the time, shops do NOT do a good job. You're better off doing it yourself.

hi guys im zach, ive been a professional installer for 7 years now. my sisters friend approached me today after hearing the small system i installed for her, (mtx 6000 12" in a sealed box with a pioneer 700 watt amp) in her scion xb. he wanted to know why his didnt sound like hers, so i took a look at it and im stumped. he has a nice alpine double din, alpine mids and highs on an alpine amp (not sure the size but its irrelevant) and an alpine 1200 monoblock amp pushing two alpine type R 12" shallow mount subs, a red top optima and a 2 farad power acoustik cap. the subs are in an under seat downfiring box in the back of a gmc sierra. they are single 4 ohm. he has 4ga wiring, 150 amp wafer fuse, and its all installed professionally and properly by a local shop (that has a negative reputation)and his amp is all the way up. all this being said, i have done everything i know to diagnose the problem and i come up empty handed, his subwoofers put out the bass of about 1 cheap *** 10" subwoofer. and his lights are dimming with the bass. suggestions needed PLEASE HELP!
I had 2 mmats 10"s on 1200 watts under the seat of an 07 F-150. It sounded weak. I put them in my wife 2010 4runner and it slams. I think it's the box.

Professional installer for 7 years? And you have a cap in the system?

Chances are output is low because you have a DOWNFIRE box UNDER A SEAT. Also it is probably a sealed box.

My buddy had the shallow mount in a prefab I thought it was the new 1000rms all black model it's in a f150 it sounds **** good for a type r In a prefab But still nothing special

The subs are single 4s 4ohms at the amp, and the gain is maxed but not on the mids and highs they're fine, chemmins, I didn't put the cap in the system I'm just trying to diagnose why it sounds like crap, but I think your suggestion is a winner, all in all if there is nothing wrong with the install and so far as can see they're isn't, then it has to be logic and though the box has near the right airspace (.6 cu ft) it Is dowfired into carpet with a foot thick foam seat smashed down on it, that has to be it lol. I'm goin to hook my L5 12s to his amp to assure adiquate amperage then present to him that we trade his flat 12s for a set of efficient 10s in either a center console box or a custom built under seat outward firing box, that way i can make some mullah //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

The subs are single 4s 4ohms at the amp, and the gain is maxed but not on the mids and highs they're fine, chemmins, I didn't put the cap in the system I'm just trying to diagnose why it sounds like crap, but I think your suggestion is a winner, all in all if there is nothing wrong with the install and so far as can see they're isn't, then it has to be logic and though the box has near the right airspace (.6 cu ft) it Is dowfired into carpet with a foot thick foam seat smashed down on it, that has to be it lol. I'm goin to hook my L5 12s to his amp to assure adiquate amperage then present to him that we trade his flat 12s for a set of efficient 10s in either a center console box or a custom built under seat outward firing box, that way i can make some mullah //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
You sure you've been a professional installer for 7 years? Do you even know how to set a gain on an amp?

And you can't wire two SVC 4 ohms subs to a 4 ohm load....

It sounds like crap because you are clipping the shit out of it, you got a crappy box and you are using shallow mount subs.

You act like you don't know anything about car audio.

Well for one.....gains shouldn't be maxxed out. As a "professional installer" you should know this, and know how to set gains properly. If you do not care to learn how....there is an idiot tool you can buy to set gains.

Try just taking the box and laying it on the back seat facing up, and let er rip and see the difference.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.