Very big bandpass box in very tight hatchback, forward or back?

Abunai
10+ year member

Ok,

I have a huge 2x 12" Q-Logic Bandpass box with ports pointed same direction as subs, I have a 95' talon (domestic eclipse) and the box takes up my trunk with only about an inch leeway in *every* direction except toward the passangers there is a raised section in the trunk about half of a foot long before the back of the back seats.

I'm trying to figure out if the box should be faced away from the passagers or toward them, it seems as if I placed it away all the sound would escape the car?

Don't you get better SQ though when it's faced away?

I was just wondering though mabey not because there is not much space for the sound to bounce off the end of the truck then go around the box back to the passangers?

Or is this a good thing?

Please help, I want to do this right the first time...

Would it sound better with or without 'the shelf that covers the cargo area when the hood is down' off or on... how about 'rear seats' up or down?

generally speaking, THERE IS NO RIGHT ANSWER!!

not generally speaking anyways...

if there is anything i ahve learned on these forums its taht every car is different, and that there is no 'right' way to do something, lol.

Try the box in every possible direction, figure out what sounds the best in YOUR car.

its togh for someone sitting at tehir computers to tell you what its gonna sound like unless, by some incredibly cool coincidnce, tehy ahve the SAME car and the SAME setup lol.

Also, your comment about SQ made me giggle, thank you.

lol bandpass lix for SQ! (one note wonders)

if you wanted a better SQ tehn you should ahve gone with sealed or ported, but whats done is done, the only importnat thing is that you are happy, now ask yourslef? do ya? punk? lol jk jk enjoy the tunes

tahts cool, never said it wasnt....

all im trying to say, and im sure most of the senior VIP's will agree is taht, there is no one way to set up everyones system...

try your box in all the different possible positions, and figure out which one sounds the best in your car. then leave it there lol.

You got my vote there Wonder. I have had to help people i helped install reposition their box every way imaginable u til they found twhat they liked. It can be a pain tin tha ass but its worth it.

hey i have the same bandpass box and im confused on what subs to get for it... what ones did u get and how good is the quality?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

the most important question is what do you want? pressure or loud to answer your dispute just go to radio shack and buy a db meter and you'll be able to mesure what you are trying to do by ear and this meter is only about $25.

Phil, sealed will always out do bandpass boxes in quality, bandpass boxes, however, are much, much louder, and boomier (which can be a good or negitive thing based on the type of music and your preference), and hit a much narrower range of freqencies (hence bandpass) hard.

If you do go the bandpass route I recommend getting some subs like JBL Power, Kicker Comp, Infinity Kappa's, any Pioneer Sub, or Bazooka El's, because these will function best with front pressure.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.