Using poly-fil?

jeeper2269
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I keep reading suggestions to put polyfil in the soundbar of my new Jeep when I instal new 6.5s.

is this an actual improvement?

I have had numerous sun enclosures built and never used polyfil.

also doing the Metra knee panel pods for 6.5s.
And what about sound deadening around the insides of the bar and pods? Will I actually notice a difference?

Poly fil is generally considered a way of making your enclosure seem larger. But, I do not suggest this means you can build your enclosure sub-optimally and then make up for it with poly. IMO the best suggestion is build the box according to spec, and then try the poly to see if it improves, makes no diff, or has a negative affect on your particular install. Poly is also said to help with standing waves and heat dissipation, but again results may vary.

Poly fil is generally considered a way of making your enclosure seem larger. But, I do not suggest this means you can build your enclosure sub-optimally and then make up for it with poly. IMO the best suggestion is build the box according to spec, and then try the poly to see if it improves, makes no diff, or has a negative affect on your particular install. Poly is also said to help with standing waves and heat dissipation, but again results may vary.

this is just for 6.5s going in the roll bar (soundbar) and aftermarket speaker pods that replace the ones in the knee panels. The Jeep came stock with 4” speakers in the knee panels and a 4” woofer with 3” tweeter in each side of the soundbar.

Attachments

• 7DC384B5-9F69-4661-9632-8BA9496A6D57.png
    7DC384B5-9F69-4661-9632-8BA9496A6D57.png
    178.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 0015AC46-817F-4AD5-B598-3BC594CC860E.png
    0015AC46-817F-4AD5-B598-3BC594CC860E.png
    535 KB · Views: 95
  • 650AF2A0-372E-460B-8A7B-7D0F532FC5D9.png
    650AF2A0-372E-460B-8A7B-7D0F532FC5D9.png
    216.2 KB · Views: 92
You can try poly and see how it affects your install. The design of your new speakers and how it reacts to the available space will be a bigger factor and I wouldn't expect a dramatic change using poly, but it's worth your time to try since you are obviously an audio enthusiast. Let us know how it works out.

You can try poly and see how it affects your install. The design of your new speakers and how it reacts to the available space will be a bigger factor and I wouldn't expect a dramatic change using poly, but it's worth your time to try since you are obviously an audio enthusiast. Let us know how it works out.

will do. It doesn’t seem too expensive.

already swapped out the upper dash 3.5s with the hertz DCX 87.3.They sound a ton better than stock. Only have stock deck power right now. It’s going to be a project adding amps later.

polk 6.5” dB652s going in the knee panels and soundbar.

For subs its different. For mids, it has a different effect and dampens the sound a bit, very miniscule effects though, you'd have to have picky ears to notice it. So dont expect that big of a change.

I used poly in a sealed box once behind the seat of my single cab truck. Had 2 type Rs in a sealed box that was too small. It did help make It sound better. I tried it in a few boxes after that with no change In sound at all to my ear. It seems that if your sub is already in an optimally sized box, it doesn’t help much with sound. If you stuffed a big sub in a small box, it might. I do not know about heat dissipation. I’ve read it helps disperse heat off the sub. I’d need to see real world tests to outright believe it.

I've used it ages ago with subs and it did provide a little more low extension on a too-small sealed box. You used to see it a lot in bookshelf speaker cabs too. I'd second the sentiment of give it a whirl, the stuff is super cheap, but don't expect really dramatic difference.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.