Using dynamat as a speaker spacer in my kicks.....

Participant count
  • Participant list

ninjatek
10+ year member

Ninja Member
I have the kick panels installed as below..

Here is my question, im wondering if I did the right thing or not.... With the kick panels in place, the woofers were too deep to fit, so I decided to make a spacer. The kicks are made so that the speaker can be flush mounted into the kick and the kicks grill can be put on. if you look at my kicks, you will see that I am using the focal grills and the focal mounting ring.

for the spacer, i created a "ring" for the spacer. For the material, i used about 15 layers of dynamat, and pressed the final spacer to make sure that the ring was very solid, and it is. the 15 or so layers pressed provided for about a 3/4 inch spacer. The kicks also have about 2 layers of dynamat on the inside. So with the spacer and the extra dynamat in place, the kicks weight like 5 times what they did originally.

The woofers sound good, have solid midbass, and dont seem to be reacting incorrectly. They have a very warm sound.

accord_kicks_2.jpg

accord_kicks_1.jpg

If that Q-forms kick panel is not sealed, it won't make any difference whatsoever.

If it was sealed, it would be like replacing motor mounts in a car with springs... with springs, you would loose torque and not be able to spin the tires as easily... with a midrange/mid-bass speaker, mid-bass might be weaker, or sound different. Since it's not sealed, there is not a worthwhile amount of air pressure behind the speaker to make a difference whether the speaker frame vibrates or not. Even if it was sealed, it still might not move enough to cause any noticeable cancellation.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.