Using bluetooth mic w/ top down convertible

Participant count
  • Participant list

spirokete

CarAudio.com Newbie
My last car was a convertible in which I installed an aftermarket Alpine stereo which had bluetooth for the phone.  I installed the mic on the sunvisor which worked well until I lowered the top, and then it just didn't work due to the wind noise.  Now I have another convertible and I'm trying to figure out how to beat this problem.  I do have a bluetooth headset that works independently from the stereo which works fairly well, but when the phone rings I have to take off my cap, put on the headset, check the phone (which might be in my pocket) to see who the call's from, and answer.  I'd prefer to use an aftermarket bluetooth system as it was intended with its own mic so I could quickly see who the call is from and then hit the button.  My idea is to use a noise cancelling mic, such as from a CB, instead of the mic that comes with these systems--these mics typically have either a 2.5mm or 3.5mm plug.  Could I wire a 3.5mm plug onto a CB mic?  Would the impedance of the CB mic and the stereo system work together?  I haven't purchased a stereo for this car yet, and don't intend to unless I can figure out an answer to this problem.  I've searched all over the net and haven't found anyone dealing with this issue.   I am not much of an electronics whiz, for which I apologize in advance.  

You have a good question and it appears you have thought about it. 

I agree with your concern that the radio is designed for a specific type of microphone and a CB will likely be different electrically.   I suppose the main questions are what signal does the stock mic expect, can the CB match that, is the noise cancellation located in the CB electronics or the mic, and if the car mic is a powered condenser mic can the CB mic operate on the same voltage with the same electrical load?

Wind noise is a separate issue from noise cancellation.  You cannot cancel wind noise.  You first step would be to find a location in the car that is shielded from wind (i.e. experiment with a piece of tissue paper) and see if that gets you close. 

Another idea is to visit a BMW or Mercedes dealership and see if the top tier convertibles have hands free calling that works with the top down.  If so, take note on the mic placement and quantity.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.