Using Alexa on Pioneer NEX head units?

Participant count
  • Participant list

blighty12

CarAudio.com Newbie
I'm trying to get Alexa working on my Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX but it only seems to work when it's connected to my iPhone's internet hotspot.

Is that working as intended? I rather not have to turn on my phone's hotspot every time I get in my car.

Also, does Alexa only work when you're not using Carplay? I noticed it wouldn't respond when Carplay was connected.

Last edited:
I'm trying to get Alexa working on my Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX but it only seems to work when it's connected to my iPhone's internet hotspot.

Is that working as intended? I rather not have to turn on my phone's hotspot every time I get in my car.

Also, does Alexa only work when you're not using Carplay? I noticed it wouldn't respond when Carplay was connected.

Do you have any other internet or cellular connection in your vehicle besides when you turn your hotspot on? I'm pretty sure Alexa is in Amazon's cloud, it's not in the device itself, so I'm not sure if Alexa will work properly without being directly in contact with Amazon's servers.

Do you have any other internet or cellular connection in your vehicle besides when you turn your hotspot on? I'm pretty sure Alexa is in Amazon's cloud, it's not in the device itself, so I'm not sure if Alexa will work properly without being directly in contact with Amazon's servers.

Right, I know it needs some way to connect to the servers but I thought it would use the phone's connection via bluetooth like the Echo Auto does. My wife's RAV4 also has Alexa integration and it uses the bluetooth connection as well.

This seems like a way more inconvenient implementation if I have to use my phone's hotspot all the time.

Right, I know it needs some way to connect to the servers but I thought it would use the phone's connection via bluetooth like the Echo Auto does. My wife's RAV4 also has Alexa integration and it uses the bluetooth connection as well.

This seems like a way more inconvenient implementation if I have to use my phone's hotspot all the time.

Ok, I see what you mean. You might check radio and phone settings. There could be some weird accessibility thing with Alexa being able to use your BT, something like that. Are you using Alexa on your phone through your radio or just trying to use Alexa on your radio?

Some bluetooths have better digital radiation transfer rates, so some BT devices can transfer more data than others. Something like the age of a phone could limit data bandwidth, like an older-model BT antenna, but not saying that's it for sure. Just listing possible problems I could see.

Does your wife's BT w/ Alexa automatically work without having to set up the phone or radio any differently than you've done yours at this point?

Ok, I see what you mean. You might check radio and phone settings. There could be some weird accessibility thing with Alexa being able to use your BT, something like that. Are you using Alexa on your phone through your radio or just trying to use Alexa on your radio?

Some bluetooths have better digital radiation transfer rates, so some BT devices can transfer more data than others. Something like the age of a phone could limit data bandwidth, like an older-model BT antenna, but not saying that's it for sure. Just listing possible problems I could see.

Does your wife's BT w/ Alexa automatically work without having to set up the phone or radio any differently than you've done yours at this point?

I'm trying to use Alexa on this Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX head unit:

My wife's Alexa in her car works in tandem with a special Toyota+Alexa app via bluetooth. The Echo Auto I have also works with the main Alexa app on my iPhone via bluetooth.

When I try to use Alexa on the new Pioneer head unit, it only seems to work if I'm connected to my phone's hotspot even though it's already connected via bluetooth.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...