used cap

Participant count
  • Participant list

deathwish666
10+ year member

i just bought a cap off of somebody from here (cant remember his name right now sorry haha) and i was wondering if it still has the charge from when he used it or if i had to charge it again...if i do have to re-charge it how would i do that?

its a power acoustik 2.0 farad 24 DCV and it came with nothing but the actual cap

thanks

usually you discharge a cap once you are going to un-install it but most people dont..
i would re charge it just in case.
That only applies to caps that require pre-charging prior to use.

Not all do.

And no, I have no idea which variety the capacitor in question is //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

Most do. Use a 27 ohm resistor and hold it with a pair of needlenose pliers. Place it between the (+) wire and the (+) terminal of the cap with the ground already connected. Use the resistor to complete the circuit and hold it like that for a couple seconds. After that you can go ahead and connect the (+) wire to the cap. Not sure why you'd want the cap, but that's how you charge one. You hold the resistor with pliers cause it's gonna get HOT.

Most do. Use a 27 ohm resistor and hold it with a pair of needlenose pliers. Place it between the (+) wire and the (+) terminal of the cap with the ground already connected. Use the resistor to complete the circuit and hold it like that for a couple seconds. After that you can go ahead and connect the (+) wire to the cap. Not sure why you'd want the cap, but that's how you charge one. You hold the resistor with pliers cause it's gonna get HOT.
okay thanks...but is it possible to hold it there to long? and what happens if i dont hold it there long enough?

No, you can't hold it there too long. The cap will draw current until it is charged, no longer. If you don't hold it there long enough, you'll get a huge arc when you try to connect the (+) to the cap as the cap tries to fully charge nearly instantly and could damage something, blow a fuse, etc...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.