USB Wiring.

Why not get one of those plugs that go into your cigarette lighter that has USB plugs.
It's gonna be all behind the dash. My iPod will be hooked up through the A/V in the back of the unit so the USB needs to be behind too. Then I only have a two inches of cord sticking out of the dash going to my iPod holder.

It's gonna be all behind the dash. My iPod will be hooked up through the A/V in the back of the unit so the USB needs to be behind too. Then I only have a two inches of cord sticking out of the dash going to my iPod holder.
If worried about it being hidden, why not run it to the glovebox? But ya that'll work no problem, as you said simple cut the data +/- connection and use the 12v/ground

If worried about it being hidden, why not run it to the glovebox? But ya that'll work no problem, as you said simple cut the data +/- connection and use the 12v/ground
That's the plan.. I have a male to female usb extender sitting here so I think I may try that before ordering anything.

I checked out that site. Should work no problem. Are you eliminating the cigarette lighter. Or just tapping into?
Just eliminating, I never use it.

Whoa now, be careful! USB is not 12 volts like our cars are, USB is 5 volts....and usually regulated for cellphones and iPods and such.

If your just extending from a radio USB cable, then you'll be fine. But if your trying to get a USB port dedicated to just charge your devices, then your gonna need a 5v regulator of some sort. I'd crack open a car charger and use whats inside that personally.

Whoa now, be careful! USB is not 12 volts like our cars are, USB is 5 volts....and usually regulated for cellphones and iPods and such.
If your just extending from a radio USB cable, then you'll be fine. But if your trying to get a USB port dedicated to just charge your devices, then your gonna need a 5v regulator of some sort. I'd crack open a car charger and use whats inside that personally.
Good point, didnt even think of that lol

I bought a 7805 regulator with the usb so that it will bring it down to 5v. Everything should be here by my next day off work (next saturday) so I can get some work done and get it all taken care of. Thanks for the input guys.

COol.

I was reading about people using a 100uf cap i beleive in this type of project and that the data inputs needs to hooked up to the 5v line with a resistor for usb 2.0 devices.

I Will do more reading.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.